While dermatologists may get the big bucks, they aren't the only choice you have when you have a skin problem. A dermatology nurse practitioner -- a registered nurse with an advanced degree and a broad scope of practice comparable to that of a doctor --- likely has the hands-on experience you seek at a more affordable cost than a physician. Salaries for dermatology NPs vary by location and might also vary by experience and work setting.
The median annual salary for nurse practitioners was $95,070 in 2013, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, with a range from $66,960 to $126,250. In comparison, dermatology NPs earned an average of $112,000 in 2014, according to Indeed.com. Salaries varied by location, however. Dermatology NPs in Nebraska earned considerably less than average, at $82,000 in 2014, while those in Florida did better, with an average annual salary of $104,000. In Texas, dermatology NPs grossed $109,000 and those in California earned $121,000. New York was a high-paying state, with an average annual salary of $136,000 in 2014. Although the data is not specific to dermatology NPs, the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners reports salaries for NPs in private practice were the highest among all work settings, at an average of $111,750.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Nurse Anesthetists, Nurse Midwives and Nurse Practitioners
- Indeed.com: Dermatology Nurse Practitioner Salary
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners: 2011 AANP National NP Compensation Survey
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2013 29-1171 Nurse Practitioners
- Indeed.com: Dermatology Nurse Practitioner Salary in New York
- Photo Credit michaeljung/iStock/Getty Images
- The Salary of a Dermatology Registered Nurse
The Average Salary of a DNP
The Doctor of Nurse Practice degree (DNP) held by nurse practitioners garners a larger salary than those who hold just a master's...
How to Become a Dermatology Nurse
Dermatological nurses work in a variety of settings to help people with skin conditions. In hospitals, they treat patients with serious dermatological...
- Salaries of Dermatologists
- The Average Salary of Neurosurgical Nurse Practitioners