Novelists are known because they write books; particularly novels. A novel is a book of fiction, typically written narratively, that tells a story. The main thing a novelist does is come up with ideas and put them into writing. A novelist must then find a publisher and land a contract in order to successfully sell the books she writes.
The first part of a novelist's job description is coming up with ideas. A writer must find new, fresh ideas to write about and turn them into a story. In order to do this, a novelist must demonstrate a great amount of creativity and dedication. Novelists must spend a lot of time thinking of ideas and figuring out a creative way to write them. A novelist must therefore have self-discipline in order to keep his mind focused. Writers must also work against writer's block, when a writer cannot think of any ideas.
According to Writing World, writing a novel requires only 5 percent talent. The other 95 percent put into a book is hard work. Writing a novel requires hard work, dedication, self-discipline and good writing skills. A novelist must be proficient in grammar, punctuation and wording. After a novelist develops ideas, she then must put them into words. She must also proofread and edit her work to avoid grammatical issues or misspelled words.
Most times, novelists submit partial novels to publishers hoping to catch their attention. If there are no grabs on it, the novelist often begins working on a different book. Landing a book contract is not always easy and it is a very competitive field. If a publisher does accept a book proposal, the novelist must then complete the book and hope the publisher accepts the completed version.
A novelist has the potential of earning a lot of money; however, a novelist also inherits a lot of risk, if he cannot land a contract with a publisher. Quite often, once a book is published, the novelist is rehired by the publisher to create more books. This may put pressure on the novelist, especially if he is experiencing writer's block.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Creatas/Getty Images
What Is the Job Description for a Publisher?
The role of a publisher in today's book business is defined by the size of the company, its financial resources and the...
How to Write Character Descriptions in a Novel
Writing a great novel depends on how you vividly describe its main characters’ attitudes, backgrounds, emotions and physical appearance, among other traits....
How Much Money Do Graphic Novelists Make?
The graphic novel has garnered attention in recent years as comic artists and cartoonists have turned to the long-form narrative as a...
What Duties & Responsibilities Does a Veterinarian Have?
The job duties of a doctor of veterinary medicine depend on the type of animals he treats. Veterinarians can practice general medicine...
All About Risk & Being a Professional Writer
Learn about the risks of being a writer, like taking on speculative writing jobs, and get tips on how to become a...
How to Write a Job Description
To write a job description, draw in potential applicants by making the job seem interesting, making the job seem challenging and listing...