Tips on Visa Interviews for Minors


The United States has clear visa processing procedures. Applicants for visas to the United States have to register for an appointment at the consulate in their country for a face-to-face interview with a visa officer. For the interview, valid documentation, photographs of the applicant and physical presence are a must. Minor children under 21 years of age applying for a visa should prepare for the interview process.

Interview Documentation

Make a list of all the documents that you must bring to the interview. Minors under 7 years of age need not attend the main interview, but they do need to be present for the registration appointment. Documentation required includes the applicant’s valid passport, original birth certificate, visa application form in duplicate, application payment receipt, travel consent from parents, affidavit of support detailing financial assistance from parents, medical examination report and valid passport with visa of either parent, if available.

Attendance at the Interview

Be punctual for the interview. Visa interviews are scheduled tightly; hence, you must reach the consulate well in time of your appointment. Parents of the minor must accompany him. If both parents hold valid U.S. visas, then either parent can go to the interview with the minor. If only one of the parents has a valid visa, then both parents must accompany the minor to the interview.

Answering Questions

The consulate officer expects to receive straight responses from the applicant to direct questions. Prepare the child to give honest, direct and clear answers. Even if questions seem irrelevant, the minor must answer them without hesitation. The visa officer will want to know what the applicant’s name is, why she is travelling to the United States, if she has the consent of both parents to travel and where in United States she is going to stay.

Important facts for Minor Visas

Visas can be either immigrant, for permanent stay, or non-immigrant, for visits of fixed duration. Common types of visas issued for most minor applicants include B2, tourist or visitor, and H4, for dependents. If one parent is a U.S. citizen and the other parent is of foreign origin, then minors are eligible for K2 or K4 visas. The K2 visa is for the child of a U.S. citizen and his foreign fiancé. The K4 visa is for the child of a U.S. citizen and his foreign spouse. Other visas issued to minors include V3, for children of green card holders, and visas for foreign adopted children. Minors are usually given visas for a period of 10 years irrespective of age.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!