Most puppies eat things they shouldn't, but some of the things they eat can be deadly. Lots of people don't realize how dangerous swallowing coins -- pennies in particular -- can be to dogs. If you think your dog has swallowed pennies, get it to the veterinarian right away so she can induce vomiting or begin other emergency treatment.
Toxicity of Pennies
Today's penny is made up of 25 percent zinc, which is extraordinarily toxic to dogs. Without aid, a penny may stay in the dog's digestive system and become more toxic. Zinc causes gastrointestinal irritation that makes digesting food difficult or impossible and kills blood cells, preventing oxygen from flowing properly through the body. Zinc from just one or two pennies can lead to liver and kidney failure in dogs.
Symptoms of zinc toxicity include listlessness, diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite and pale gums. The vet will perform diagnostic blood tests and X-rays to discover if your dog has eaten pennies and how bad the damage is. In severe cases where a high amount of zinc has been ingested seizures and comas can occur.
If pennies are lodged in the gastrointestinal tract, surgery may be necessary. If they're in the stomach, an endoscope may suffice. Veterinarians check for anemia since zinc toxicity causes blood disorders. If this is the case, intravenous fluids and a blood transfusion are given to replace the fluids and affected blood.
Prevention and Action
The obvious way to prevent this from happening is to make sure all change is kept in a place where your dog can't get to it. Take change out of your pocket immediately upon getting home and put it in the designated place. Keep all supplements, medications or anything else that might contain zinc up in a cabinet and out of reach.
- Photo Credit Apple Tree House/Lifesize/Getty Images Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How Long Does the Entire Digestive Process Take?
The process of digestion starts at ingestion and mastication and ends with defecation. Each step of the process in unique to the...
How to Make a Dog Vomit a Swallowed Object
Dogs eat anything. If an object is on the ground chances are your dog will try to eat it and there are...
How Do I Swallow With My Retainer?
Even after braces have been removed, dental responsibilities remain. The last phase of orthodontic treatment requires wearing a retainer to hold teeth...
What Should I Do If My Child Swallowed a Penny?
Somehow your child found a shiny penny on the ground, and before you realized it, swallowed it in one gulp. Before starting...