Different Electrical Outlets


Depending on where you live and travel, you will experience a variety of electrical outlets and sockets that have a range of voltages. Some electrical appliances are capable of withstanding a few percentages below and above the rated voltage. However, it is best to use an appliance with its approved voltage, since a substantial amount in the variation of the electrical currency can damage the electrical components. Be aware of the type of electrical outlet available in your home or while traveling, especially outside the United States.

Type A

  • A Type A electrical outlet is a flat blade attachment outlet; its technical name is North American 15A/125 V ungrounded (NEMA 1-15). It features two flat blades or pins parallel from each other. You can only insert the polarized plug a particular way in a Type A electrical outlet. The neutral blade is wider than the live blade in a Type A outlet. However, the first designs had the ability to position the blades in either slots. The newer Type A polarized plug cannot work with the older models. However, the older Type A plugs work with the newer Type A electrical outlets. A Type A electrical outlets uses 120 volts.

Type B

  • A Type B electrical outlet dispenses 120 volts. The North American 15A/125 Volt grounded (NEMA 5-15), or American three-pin, plugs date to the 1970s and have started to replace Type A outlets. The plugs feature two flat parallel pins and a round grounding that grounds the item prior to it connecting to power. In addition, similar to a Type A electrical outlet, the neutral pin is larger than the live pin to assure the item is positioned correctly.

Type C

  • A Type C electrical outlet , or Europlug, uses 230 volts. You probably will use a Type C electrical outlet when visiting Germany, Chile, Egypt, India and Turkey. A Type C electrical outlet features two-circular pinholes; its technical name is CEE7/16.

Type D

  • You will mostly find a Type D electrical outlet in countries such as Bangladesh, British Virgin Islands, Dominica and Ghana. However, some countries have started to phase out the Type D service. The technical name for a Type D electrical outlet is the BS 546 (5 A/250 Volt earthed) and some refer to it as the Old British Plug. It provides three large pinholes in a triangle pattern. The plug uses 120 volts.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!