Dollar stores are retail stores that sell common inexpensive products. The stores operate through buyers who work for a store and find the best bargains on bulk items. Products may also come from the overstock of other stores. This allows them to sell products for lower prices and save consumers money.
Dollar General (dollargeneral.com) started in 1955 in Springfield, Kentucky, and has over 9,200 stores throughout 35 states. The headquarters are located in Goodlettsville, TN, and the company employs almost 88,000 individuals. A number of name brands are sold at the Dollar General, including products from Kellogg's, Proctor and Gamble, Nabisco and General Mills. Coupons are available from a variety of sources, including online, newspapers, direct mail and in-store coupon boxes.
Family Dollar (familydollar.com) started in 1959 and opened its first store in Charlotte, North Carolina. The over 6,800 stores across the country are designed to provide merchandise to low- and middle-income neighborhoods. Products available at the store include home decor, cold and flu care, health supplies, groceries, paper and plastic, pet supplies and household cleaners. While the store sells products online, the shipping cost may not make it a cost-effective option.
In 1986, the first Dollar Tree (dollartree.com) opened in Dalton, Georgia. There are over 4,000 stores located in the United States and Canada. All 48 contiguous states in the countries have a Dollar Store. Merchandise at the store includes floral supplies, arts and crafts, personal health, toys and games, hardware, storage and kitchenware. While customers can't purchase in large quantities directly, they can do so online through the store's Dollar Tree Direct.
99 Cent Only Store
The first 99 Cent Store (99only.com) opened in 1982, and there are 281 stores located across the country. About 75 percent of those stores are located in California, while the remaining 25 percent are in Nevada, Arizona and Texas. Merchandise at the store includes food and household items. Other items include home decorations, pet care products, party supplies, clothing and beauty essentials. Membership is free and offers individuals a chance to purchase items in bulk and large quantities.