When you consume alcohol it causes muscle relaxing and anxiety reducing effects. Consistently using alcohol for this purpose, however, is discouraged by physicians due to the fact people can become psychologically and physically dependent on the effects. Also, while alcohol may have pleasant, relaxing effects in small doses, in larger ones it can be quite harmful.
Digestion of Alcohol
Unlike other foods, alcohol skips the normal digestion process, and about 20 percent of it is absorbed into the blood through the walls of the stomach. The remaining 80 percent is absorbed through the small intestine. This is why the muscle relaxing effects of alcohol are very quickly apparent after a first drink.
Central Nervous System
The brain, spine and nerves make up the central nervous system. Alcohol depresses the central nervous system making communication of the brain to the spine and nerves slower. Drinking a few drinks makes a person feel more relaxed because the communication between the brain and the nerves has slowed down. This is also why after many drinks, movement can be impaired.
Because the nervous system is depressed and numbed after drinking alcohol, the nerves that run throughout the muscles do not register pain effectively. The muscles may seem to be relaxed when actually they are just acting as if they have been given a pain killer.
While alcohol causes muscle and mental relaxation initially, after over-consumption withdrawal can produce the opposite effects. After a heavy night of drinking the central nervous system becomes overstimulated causing shakes, sensitivity to light and nervousness. Also, because alcohol is a diuretic, the entire body including the muscles are dehydrated, causing muscle weakness. In addition, the pituitary gland in the brain releases sporadic amounts of hormones which inhibit the body's ability to sleep.
- Photo Credit drink image by andrew chambers from Fotolia.com
The Side Effects of Formula 303
More people are turning to herbs to treat their health problems, and many hope to avoid prescription drugs until those drugs become...
What Are Names of Common Muscle Relaxers?
Muscle relaxers are used to treat acute pain due to strains, sprains and other muscular injuries. Muscle relaxers primarily work by either...
Shelf Life of Muscle Relaxants
Health care providers often prescribe muscle relaxants, also known as skeletal muscle relaxants, to relieve stiffness, pain or discomfort caused by a...
Side Effects of Prescription Muscle Relaxers
Muscle relaxers are used to help muscles not be stressed, tense up or cause additional pain after an injury. There are many...
What Are the Side Effects of Mixing Alcohol & Lyrica?
Lyrica is a prescription medication that is used in the treatment of fibromyalgia, nerve pain, shingles and may be combined with other...
How to Quickly Soothe Aching, Sore Muscles
Aching, sore muscles can be tough to handle, especially when the soreness causes you to be tired, lack motivation to do things,...
How to Rejuvenate Nerve Damage
There are several types of nerves in the body. Sensory nerves (according to Webmd.com) are the ones that affect the skin and...
How to Relax the Sphincter Muscle
The sphincter is the ring of muscles in your anus and lower rectum. It controls the opening and closing of the anus...
The Effects of Alcohol on the Muscular System
Drinking alcoholic beverages is popular social behavior, especially at parties and festivals. However, drinking alcohol affects how your body reacts to certain...
Home Remedies for Muscle Relaxants
Stressed muscles are one of the most important causes of general anxiety and strain on the body. Relaxing these taut muscles and...