Open heart surgery is a team effort, and one of the most important players on the team is the cardiovascular perfusionist. In many surgeries, the surgeon cannot operate unless the heart is still. The perfusionist takes over the task of keeping the patient’s blood circulating with a heart-lung machine. A bachelor’s degree is the minimum requirement for a perfusionist, and certification is required for practice. Salaries vary according to source, location, experience and other factors.
Money, Money, Money
Explore Health Careers reports the salary range for perfusionists in 2014 was $65,000 to $135,000 a year. The Economic Research Institute, however, notes an average annual salary on the high end of that range, at $139,441. Indeed reports an average annual salary of $83,000 in 2014. Salaries also varied by location in 2014. Perfusionists in Texas, for example, earned $81,000 a year, while those in Michigan earned $85,000 a year. In California, perfusionists earned an average of $90,000 a year. In New York, perfusionists earned $101,000 a year. Perfusionists earned more than $100,000 a year in all cities surveyed by Salary Expert in 2014. Salaries ranged from $115,168 a year in Houston, Texas, to $152,434 in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Explore Health Careers: Perfusionist
- Economic Research Institute: Perfusionist Salary Survey Data
- Indeed: Cardiovascular Perfusionist Salary
- Indeed: Cardiovascular Perfusionist Salary in Texas
- Indeed: Cardiovascular Perfusionist Salary in Michigan
- Indeed: Cardiovascular Perfusionist Salary in California
- Indeed: Cardiovascular Perfusionist Salary in New York
- Salary Expert: Cardio Pulmonary Perfusionist Salaries
- Photo Credit KentWeakley/iStock/Getty Images
What Are the Benefits of Being a Perfusionist?
A perfusionist is a medical professional trained to operate a heart-lung machine during cardiac operations, such as open-heart surgery. Since the heart...
Chief Perfusionist Salary
For some people, there is nothing more exciting that the fast pace of an operating room. If you have ever dreamed of...
Perfusionist Job Description
A healthy heart and pair of lungs are crucial to good cardiovascular health. However, during times of emergency where heart or lung...
How to Become a Perfusionist
Cardiac surgery is a team effort, and one of the most important members of the team is the perfusionist. This professional administers...
- Salary in a Perfusionist Medical Career
A perfusionist operates medical equipment that regulates a patient's circulatory system during invasive surgeries. Perfusionists must be college-educated, are paid a salary...
- Salary for a Perfusion Assistant