Guitar Center describes itself as the nation's largest music instrument retailer. With numerous brands and styles of guitars, many customers rely on Guitar Center salesmen to select the ones that best meet their needs. Guitar Center salesmen also sell amps, keyboards, drums and music software. To get a sales job at Guitar Center, it helps if applicants play guitars or have familiarity with them. Salaries for Guitar Center sales reps may vary by location and sales volume.
The Careerbliss job site reports that Guitar Center sales representatives earned average pay of $11 an hour or $21,900 a year as of 2014. However, these sales reps often earn commissions in addition to their salaries, based on the sales they generate.
Economy and Population Drive Growth
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that employment of all retail sales workers is expected to increase 10 percent from 2012 to 2022, which is slightly below the 11 percent projected growth rate for all occupations. Retail sales jobs, including those at musical instrument stores, are typically more plentiful when the economy is strong. Population increases will also create job opportunities for all retail sales workers.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: What Retail Sales Workers Do
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: How to Become a Retail Sales Worker
- Careerbliss: Guitar Center Sales Representative Salaries
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Employment Statistics: Retail Sales Workers
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Sporting Goods, Hobby, and Musical Instrument Stores: Retail Salespersons
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Retail Sales Workers: Job Outlook
- Photo Credit Dan Kitwood/Getty Images News/Getty Images
How to Get a Guitar Center Credit Card
Guitar lovers know how expensive their guitar habit can be and many apply for, and obtain, a Guitar Center credit card. Guitar...
How to Write a Resume for a Guitar Store
Writing a resume for a position in a guitar shop is somewhat unique. Although experience in another guitar or music store is...
How to Start a Guitar Store
Starting a guitar store differs little from establishing any other small business. However, brutal pricing competition and increased loss of market share...
How to Get a Job at a Guitar Store
While music may be your passion or one of your hobbies, you will need more than that to get a job working...
The Salary of a Guitar Tech
Guitar techs are musical instrument repair professionals who specialize in guitar repair, reassembly, maintenance and adjustment. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics...
How Much Money Does a Luthier Make?
A luthier is a maker of stringed instruments --- most commonly the guitar. A luthier's salary depends on many factors including education...