Who Needs to File Kansas State Tax?


Even if you're not required to file a federal tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), you may be required to file with the Kansas Department of Revenue if you have Kansas state income. Factors that determine whether you need to file are based on your residency status, filing status and taxable earnings.

Resident Income and Filing Status Guidelines

  • If you're a Kansas resident, your requirement to file a state tax return depends on your filing status and the amount of gross taxable income you -- or you and your spouse -- earn. Single residents and residents under the age of 65 are in a higher tax bracket, which means if you're in these categories, the amount you can earn, before you're required to file, is lower than that of other filing statuses. For example, as of 2009, if you're single and under the age of 65, you must file if your taxable income is more than $5,250. If your filing status in 2009 is head of household and you're under the age of 65, you must file if your taxable income is over $9,000. Your Kansas filing status is the same as your federal filing status.

Non-residents and Part-time Residents

  • If you are not a Kansas resident but receive Kansas income from any source, you are required to file a state return regardless of your earnings' total. Additionally, if you did not receive Kansas income but your employer withheld Kansas income taxes, you must file a state return to receive a refund of the taxes withheld. If you live in Kansas for part of the year, you can choose to file as a full-year resident or non-resident.

Military Personnel

  • If you're enlisted in an active or reserve military position and stationed in Kansas, you do not have to file a tax return with the Department of Revenue if you do not maintain a legal address in Kansas and consider another state your tax home. If you're unsure where your tax home is, consult your military records. Generally, you will file with the state that is reported in your personnel documents.

Native Americans

  • Generally, if you're a Kansas Native American and have earnings exempt from federal taxation, you do not have to file with the state Department of Revenue. However, you must also reside on a tribal reservation, and your income must come from your tribal reservation to qualify for the exclusion.

Dependent Minors

  • Under most circumstances, a dependent minor will not have to file a state tax return if gross earnings for the year were under $3,000. However, your child must file a return if he receives more than $500 in unearned income. Examples of unearned income include interest and dividends.

Filing for Refund

  • If you're not required to file a Kansas tax return under the above conditions but have state tax withheld from your income, you'll still benefit by filing with the Department of Revenue and claiming a refund for the amount of income tax deducted from your earnings.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!