Money Grants for Indigents

Government and corporate programs offer money to help support needy and homeless people. The majority of programs provide funding only for government agencies or nonprofit organizations that serve indigent people, but a limited number also offer cash assistance for individuals. Grant programs typically provide funds to assist with specific needs, such as health care, food or housing. Certain programs offer support only for certain types of individuals, such as military veterans.

  1. Health Care Grants

    • Government agencies offer grants to support health care programs for the needy and homeless. For instance, the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration sponsors the Grants for the Benefit of Homeless Individuals program. The GBHI program awards money to nonprofit organizations to help support programs that provide mental health and substance abuse treatment for the homeless. The program seeks to promote organizations that provide a wide range of services, which may include housing, job training and case management.

    Grants for Veterans

    • The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs sponsors grant programs specifically for veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. The VA's Homeless Providers Grant and Per Diem Program awards money to community agencies that provide housing and support services, such as counseling, education and case management, for homeless veterans. Grantees can use funds to purchase, build or renovate facilities for transitional housing or support services centers. To help support housing costs, the program also offers a per diem of up to $38.90 per veteran per day, as of the time of publication.

    Food Grant Programs

    • Certain corporations sponsor grant programs to help support food initiatives for the needy and homeless. For example, the Sara Lee Corporation awards grants to nonprofit organizations to support community-based programs that address hunger.

      The Food Lion Charitable Foundation funds hunger programs administered by agencies of the United Way and Feeding America that serve communities within its marketing territory.

    Local Cash Assistance Programs

    • A limited number of local governments offer cash assistance paid directly to needy and homeless residents. The Human Services Agency of San Francisco in San Francisco, California, administers the General Assistance program. It offers cash assistance and transportation passes for indigent adults. San Francisco also offers the Personal Assisted Employment Services program, which provides training and employment services for needy adults that do not have dependents. The PAES program also offers cash stipends for participants and support services, such as substance abuse counseling, transportation and vocational assessments.

    Housing Grants

    • Government grant programs offer funding to help indigent individuals and families obtain or retain housing. For example, the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, provides assistance to help prevent families and individuals from becoming homeless. The HPRP awards funds to states, cities and counties, which administer the program through nonprofit organizations and government agencies.

      HUD also administers the Emergency Shelter Grants program, which awards money to states, cities and counties to fund support services and shelters for the homeless. The ESG program also offers short-term assistance to families and individuals faced with the threat of homelessness due to foreclosure or eviction.

Related Searches



  • Photo Credit Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

You May Also Like

  • About Organizations to Help the Homelessness

    Government agencies offer assistance like food stamps and cash benefits. ... There are many ways that you can help homeless pets. Shelters...

  • Florida Grants for Poor Families

    Needy families can find help for food, housing, education and transportation, and other relief. Most grant programs require recipients to meet strict...

  • How to Create a Business Plan

    Business plans consists of four different categories: operations, management, marketing and finance. Find out how to expand on each of these categories...

  • Financial Help for Indigent Patients

    Many indigent people avoid receiving medical care because of the high costs and their inability to pay. If you are an indigent...

  • How to Find Small Business Grants for Veterans

    Many individuals who decide to start a business, or who already own a business, find that they don't have the necessary funding...

  • How to Get Indigent Dental Assistance

    Finding dental care when you have no dental insurance will mean searching for free or reduced ... Many indigent people avoid ......

  • Indigent Grants & Scholarships for Minorities

    The biggest gap in education is between indigent students and students from families with resources. Students of single parents are particularly affected...

  • Government Grants for Needy Families

    Government Grants for Needy Families. ... is located in the south central part of Tennessee. ... How to Apply for Temporary Assistance...

  • Indigent Care Trust Fund Qualifications

    Money Grants for Indigents; Grants for Indigent Care; Comments. Related Ads. Check It Out Lending Money to Your Adult Kid by

  • How to Get Free Hearing Aids

    Sufferers of hearing loss can get hearing aid assistance from numerous groups, ... Contact the Lions Club International. ... How to Program...

  • Grants for Elderly Care

    Without adequate health care and living resources much of the elderly population may become indigent. ... Endeavors to develop programs to serve...

  • How to Apply for Grants for the Poor

    Grants for the poor are based largely on income. As a result, proof of income plays an important role in your application...

  • Grants for Homelessness

    money; health; More eHow; Featured: Halloween Allergies. eHow; ... Homeless Youth Grants. There are grants available to assist the homeless youths in...

Related Ads

Related Searches
View Photos

6 Awesome Apps to Help You Do Your Taxes