Set up your windsurf board in the proper sequence to be sure everything works when you're riding out in the water.
Things You'll Need
- Life Vests
- Wet Suits
- Windsurf Boards
- Windsurf Rigs
Unfold the sail and slide the mast into the mast sleeve.
Use the inhaul to attach the boom to the mast. Make sure it's very tight and not too high.
Tighten the downhaul, where the mast foot and the sail meet and connect. Get the sail as close to the board as your rig allows.
Rig the outhaul to the clew. Make sure your clew is facing leeward (downwind) or your sail might flip up over you as you are rigging it.
Put the battens in your sail, if it has them.
Attach the rig to the board by inserting the mast into the mast hole. There are many styles of mast holes, so secure your mast by whatever method your board is designed for.
Attach your tether line to the base of your mast, connecting the bow of your board to the mast step. This prevents the board from escaping should it separate from the rig.
Insert the dagger-board, if you have one, into its slot once you are in the water.
Tips & Warnings
- The tightness of your downhaul will depend on the strength of the wind. In strong winds you want your downhaul tighter to lessen the bow of your sail. Beginners should use a medium tightness on their downhaul.
- If your sail is a fully battened version, get some extra tension in your outhaul, and then retighten your downhaul. Fully battened sails always require more downhaul tension.
- There are many different windsurf board-rigging systems, so learn your specific system and master rigging and de-rigging it. Familiarity with your equipment will improve your windsurfing experience and increase your safety.
- Always wear a life vest when windsurfing.
- Windsurfing is an inherently dangerous activity that can result in serious injury or death. We recommend that you seek proper training and equipment before attempting this activity.
How to Make a WiFi Extender
WiFi, which is short for "wireless fidelity," refers to the radio frequencies that provide wireless Internet access for a computer. A problem...
How to Make a Windsurf Booster Antenna for WiFi
The Windsurf booster is a home-made parabolic reflector for a WiFi router. You can use a computer and everyday household items to...
How to Make a Surf Fishing Rig
Casting from the beach into the ocean's surf is a peaceful and productive way to enjoy fishing. But to enjoy surf fishing,...
How to Put Boxes Together
It is important to assemble boxes properly before putting them to use. There are ways to save time building boxes without putting...