How to Get a Different State License While a Suspension Is Pending in Another State


Technology has made it difficult to keep secrets, even matters hidden in your own driving record in a different state. The Driver License Compact (DLC) and Nonresident Violator Compact (NRVC) are both agreements among states to share driver license and conviction information among jurisdictions. The DLC shares computerized information with other member states regarding traffic offenses in the licensing state of a driver. The NRVC sends notice to a driver's home state if the driver gets a ticket in another state. Most member states refuse to issue a license to a driver with a suspension pending in another member state.

Move to one of the states that is not a member of the DLC. All states are members except Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin.

Go to the Department of Motor Vehicles in your new state or visit the DMV website. Confirm that the state does not require out-of-state driving records to issue a license. Michigan, for example, does not require any prior driving records.

Apply for a driver's license in the state. Provide identification other than your prior driver's license. Michigan, for instance, accepts passports, divorce or marriage decrees, and government-issued identification cards.

Pass the driving and written test. Pay the fee. Obtain your license.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!