Catalase is an enzyme found in all manner of organisms, including humans. Catalase does little more than catalyze the conversion of hydrogen peroxide into oxygen and water, but it does this with near-perfect efficiency, making it a very powerful antioxidant. Scientists believe that by removing peroxides from the body, catalase may prevent the effects of aging.
Things You'll Need
- Pills containing catalase
Buy dietary supplements that contain catalase. Such products include Go Away Gray; Biotec Foods' Ageless Beauty, Antioxidant & Enzyme Supplement; and Biotics Research Bio-B 100.
Take the supplements according to the indications on the labels, paying close attention to the other ingredients to ensure you don't ingest anything harmful or overdose on any nutrients. If you experience adverse effects, stop taking the supplements.
Buy melatonin supplements. Some scientists believe the hormone melatonin helps cells create catalase.
Tips & Warnings
- Although catalase is a powerful antioxidant, doctors have not quite determined the usefulness of additional catalase in combating aging, gray hair or other processes. The body produces a great deal of catalase on its own. Talk with a doctor before embarking on a catalase regimen.
- The Food and Drug Administration does not regulate dietary supplements as vigorously as it does with other medicines. Use caution and monitor your reactions carefully if you begin taking supplements.
- Children and pregnant women who are nursing should consult with a physician before taking melatonin.
- Melatonin can cause drowsiness, strange dreams and changes in blood pressure.
- Truth in Aging; Go Away Gray; August 2010
- KFMB-TV San Diego; Pill Promises to Get Rid of Your Gray Hair"; February 2010
- European Bioinformatics Institute; Catalase; Jennifer McDowall
- Catalase; Catalase -- An Extraordinary Enzyme; James Crook; July 2003
- WebMD.com; How Melatonin Affects Your Sleep Cycles; July 2010
- Photo Credit Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images
Food Sources of Superoxide Dismutase
Free radicals, unstable oxygen molecules that constantly bombard organs and tissues, arise from everyday activities like breathing and eating. The body counters...
Beef Liver Vs. Calf Liver
Eating beef and calf liver holds great nutritional value and both are beneficial to human health. In 1934, eating liver was discovered...
Vegetarian Sources of Catalase
Catalase is a potent antioxident; its reactions are crucial to sustaining life. An enzyme in the human body, catalase helps to prevent...
Foods That Break Down H2O2
Foods that contain the catalase enzyme protein can break down hydrogen (H202) in our bodies. Breaking down hydrogen molecules helps fight cell...