How to File for a Husband's Pension


Losing your husband can be a traumatic time. However, you are likely entitled to his pension benefits. A pension plan is a retirement plan your husband's employer paid for when he was working for the company. The pension offered a beneficiary payment to you. Your husband likely chose to give you part of his pension payment and took a reduced pension benefit payment during his lifetime. You should know how to file a claim for his pension benefit so that you receive the money you're entitled to.

Contact your husband's pension plan administrator. This person may also be located in your husband's former employer's human resource's department. Alternatively, the company may contact you when your husband dies.

Fill out the benefit distribution form. Your husband's plan administrator may contact you and help you complete the necessary forms. If not, you'll have to complete these forms yourself. Make sure you note whether you wish to receive a check or direct deposit into your bank account. If you had a joint bank account with your husband, the pension plan can continue making payments to this account.

Submit the form to the human resources department. When you do, you'll receive your husband's pension payments. If your husband was already receiving pension benefits, there should be no delay in receiving the next payment provided you file the paperwork in a timely manner.

Related Searches


  • "Practicing Financial Planning for Professionals (Practitioners' Edition), 10th Edition"; Sid Mittra, Anandi P. Sahu, Robert A Crane; 2007
  • "The Calculus Of Retirement Income"; Moshe A. Milevsky; Cambridge University Press; 2006
  • "Actuarial Aspects Of Individual Life Insurance And Annuity Contracts"; Albert E. Easton, Timothy F. Harris; 1999
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!