Union pension benefits may amount to a significant portion of your retirement plan. Your pension benefits give you a guaranteed income for life. These benefits are funded by your employer and are guaranteed by the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC). When you retire, these benefits are paid to you, but what if you want to retire early? You may still get some of your pension benefits. You should understand how to go about claiming your union pension before your normal retirement age.
Request a pension distribution form. Your union representative will help you obtain your pension benefit distribution form. This form must be filled out before you can claim your pension benefit.
Fill out the form and name a beneficiary. If your pension allows an early distribution, you must fill out the distribution request. Name your spouse as a beneficiary if you're married. Otherwise, you'll need to get your spouse's permission and have her sign a waiver of future benefits so that you may take a lump-sum pension payment or lifetime payments with no beneficiary payment to your spouse.
Submit your form to your union representative. Your pension payments will begin within 30 days after you submit your form.
Tips & Warnings
- Some pension plans allow early pension distributions and use the early withdrawal exemption under IRS rule 72t to make penalty-free early distributions to you.
- Other pension plans, like 457 deferred compensation plans, may be drawn upon prior to 59 1/2 without a penalty and without using the exemption under IRS rule 72t. Check with your union representative prior to making a claim for benefit payments.
- Many pensions allow early distributions, but your union is not required to give you an early distribution. Your pension may be subject to a 10 percent penalty on money you receive prior to age 59 1/2. This will result in a lower pension payment than you otherwise would receive.
- "Practicing Financial Planning for Professionals (Practitioners' Edition), 10th Edition"; Sid Mittra, Anandi P. Sahu, Robert A Crane; 2007
- "Life Insurance"; Kenneth Black, Jr., Harold D. Skipper, Jr.; 1994
- "The Calculus Of Retirement Income"; Moshe A. Milevsky; Cambridge University Press; 2006
- "Actuarial Aspects Of Individual Life Insurance And Annuity Contracts"; Albert E. Easton, Timothy F. Harris; 1999
Carpenters Union Retirement Requirements
Carpenters Union Retirement Requirements. ... Union Retirement Benefits. Union Retirement Benefits. Labor unions provide for fair working conditions, ...
Union Pension and Benefits
What Is a Union Pension Annuity? Carpenters Union Retirement Requirements; How to Collect Money From a Union Carpenter's Pension Plan Early; Comments...
Union Retirement Benefits
Carpenters Union Retirement Requirements. Postal Worker Retirement Benefits. Are Social Security Benefits Considered Private Retirement Benefits? Benefit of Credit Unions.
What Is a Union Pension Annuity?
What Is the Difference Between a Retirement Annuity & a Pension Fund? ... How to Collect Money From a Union Carpenter's Pension...
How to Join a Carpenter Union
Labor unions protect the rights of workers by fighting for their members' rights and to guarantee that they will have a pension...
How to Collect Your Pension Benefits
How to Collect Money From a Union Carpenter's Pension ... Social Security is part of all American workers' pension ... Pension Benefit...
Early Lump Sum Withdrawal From a Pension Plan
How to Collect Money From a Union Carpenter's Pension Plan Early. Union pension benefits may amount to a significant portion of your...
How to Cash In Your Pension Early
There are times when you will find yourself in need of money, and regardless of how hard you try to avoid cashing...
What Is the Pay Scale for a Union Carpenter?
What Is the Pay Scale for a Union Carpenter?. Carpentry is an in-demand profession, ... Retirement; Pensions; What Is the Pay Scale...
How to Collect a Deceased Father's Pension and Retirement
Careers. Career Advice; Land the Job; Work for Yourself; Your Business. Starting a Business; Managing Employees; Running a Business; ... How to...
Pension Rules for Early Retirement
The U.S. pension system provides workers with an opportunity to save money for retirement. Pension plans ... collect a pension ... Union...
When Can a Wife Draw From Her Husband's Pension?
When Can a Wife Draw From Her Husband's Pension?. Although pensions are disappearing, ... How to Collect Money From a Union Carpenter's...
How to Find Out My Teamster Union Retirement Benefits
The International Brotherhood of Teamsters is the largest labor union in the world. It represents 10 percent of all American union members,...