E-file Instructions

Filing your taxes by computer is a quick way to finish this stressful task and far more efficient than filing by paper. If you find that the Internal Revenue Service owes you money, you are likely to receive a refund more rapidly than if you did the traditional filing, causing a four-to-six week waiting period. By following these steps and e-filing your taxes, you can save both time and money.

Things You'll Need

  • W2 form
  • 1099 form
  • Social Security number
  • Receipts
  • Last year's tax return
  • Canceled checks
  • Computer


    • 1

      Gather all your tax information from the previous year. This includes your Social Security number, W2 forms from employers or 1099s if you are self-employed, according to the IRS website. Also have your bank account routing number handy.

    • 2

      Refer to your adjusted gross income amount from last year. For the e-filing process to work, this number must be exact for identification purposes. Know your personal identification number from last year, if you wish to sign electronically.

    • 3

      Choose an e-filing method, whether you wish to use a tax professional, your own computer, or a method the IRS calls "Free File." Check your adjusted gross income figure--if it is less than $58,000, you may be eligible to browse a list of Free File companies and select one.

    • 4

      Go to IRS.gov. Click on "Free File". Beneath the "Do Your Federal Taxes for Free" article, click on "Free Fillable Forms". Click the "Start Your Taxes Using Free File Fillable Forms" link.

    • 5

      Scroll down the page that says you are about to leave the IRS website. Click on "Leave IRS Site".

    • 6

      Move down the Free File Fillable Forms page. Click on "Start Free File Fillable Forms" button. Read the directions. Then press "Continue".

    • 7

      Press the "Create Account Button" if you're a new user. Otherwise, log in. Enter your user name and password.

    • 8

      Answer the questions on the form, just as you would in the print version.

    • 9

      Print a copy of your return to keep for your records. Also, print payment vouchers if you owe the Internal Revenue Service. Then press "Submit".

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

Related Ads

The infamous day of deals can be great for some, but there are alternatives Read Article

The infamous day of deals can be great for some, but there are alternatives