Badge reels keep keys, identification and swipe entry cards nearby, yet out of the way, but they don't make a particularly pleasing addition to your fashion choices. Embellish your reel to add color, style or whimsy.
Things You'll Need
- Badge reel
- Tracing paper
- Craft glue
- Jewelers' epoxy (if using beads)
- Beads, fabric or other embellishment
- Self-adhesive laminating film or acrylic craft varnish
Trace the outside of the reel to make a pattern.
Lay out your design inside the pattern. Make a one-piece cover from fabric or scrapbooking paper or you can cut or tear the materials for a collage or mosaic design style.
Mix equal parts glue and water.
Brush the reel with the glue mixture and place your design on the reel. Brush the surface with more glue and allow it to dry thoroughly.
Embellish the design with paint pens, permanent markers, stickers or other items, as desired. Add a single large bead with epoxy or combine smaller stones, crystals or seed beads for a pattern.
Cover flat (paper or fabric only) reel designs with laminating film or varnish. Beaded designs do not require that you seal them.
Tips & Warnings
- Small mirrors glued to the reel with epoxy add an interesting "flash" to your badge.
- Keep the decoration away from the sides of the reel to avoid interfering with the line retracting.