Pneumatic office chairs can have the height adjusted by pulling on a small lever on the side. However, sometimes the pneumatics will break and the chair will just sink down to the lowest level and stay there. When this happens you need to replace the pneumatic cylinder. Fortunately all you need are some basic hand tools, a little bit of grease and a replacement tube and you're ready to make your repairs.
Things You'll Need
- Replacement pneumatic cylinder
- Wrench/Socket wrench and sockets
- Eye protection
Flip the chair over onto its back. You should be able to see the bottom of the chair. Remove the clip and washer holding the tube in place by using a screwdriver for additional leverage. Set the clip and washer aside.
Remove the old pneumatic cylinder from the base of the chair (it will just slide out) and examine it. Make sure it is identical to the replacement cylinder you will be installing.
Put the new cylinder into the base of the chair, pushing it in so it's situated the same way the old one was. Put the washer and clip back in place to hold the cylinder in. Flip the chair back over and adjust it using the knob. A few adjustments and sitting in the chair once or twice will be enough to tighten up the new cylinder and settle it in.
Tips & Warnings
- If you want to slide the cylinder in more easily, you can apply a light layer of grease to help it slide in more easily.
- If you're having trouble with the bottom of the chair, you can take the chair apart completely and just work with the cylinder. You'll need to unbolt the chair piece by piece until you have just the center pipe, and then once the cylinder is changed out put the chair back together.
- Always wear safety goggles. If something goes wrong with one of the cylinders you can have flying debris and liquids.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
- How to Fix a Pneumatic Chair
How to Lube an Office Chair
Squeaky office chairs can be an annoyance to coworkers and to yourself. The noise is distracting and can lead to lower productivity....
- How to Replace a Gas Cylinder in an Office Chair
How to Adjust a Pneumatic Door Closer
A pneumatic door closer ensures that the door shuts behind people as they enter or exit a home, shop or business. Door...
- How to Fix an Office Chair
How to Repair an Adjustable Height Chair
Adjustable office chairs are designed to make the long hours of office work more comfortable. However, if the chair fails to function...
How to Adjust a 453 Steelcase
Steelcase Incorporated is a company known for manufacturing high-quality office furniture. The Criterion 453 is one of the company’s high-performance work chairs...
- How to Fix a Hydraulic Office Chair