How to File a Flood Insurance Claim Letter to FEMA

FEMA can help with the damage caused by a flood.
FEMA can help with the damage caused by a flood. (Image: Images)

Standard homeowner insurance policies do not cover flood damage. For homeowners who live in flood-prone areas or are at risk of damage from hurricanes or tropical storms, the National Flood Insurance Program, or NFIP, which is managed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, provides flood insurance to compensate them for losses. The property must be located in an area that participates in the NFIP. If you have experienced a loss due to flooding and have NFIP coverage, submitting a claim is relatively simple.

Document the damage by taking pictures or video as soon after the flood as possible. Evidence of the water level is important and should be documented as soon as it is safe for you to do so.

Create a written list of the damages. Include the date of purchase for each damaged or destroyed item and value. Locate receipts for damaged or destroyed property, if possible.

Separate damaged and destroyed items from unaffected items. Place damaged or destroyed items outside or in a garage once it is safe for you to do so.

Contact your insurance agent or company as soon as possible after the flood. Have your policy number and contact information available when you call. An agent should respond within a few days. If you do not get a return call, contact the company again until you get a response.

Complete the Proof of Loss claim form that the adjuster provides to you.

Tips & Warnings

  • The Proof of Loss claim form must be submitted within 60 days of the loss. After a flood, always check for structural damage before entering the property.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!