The Tordon RTU specialty herbicide is a ready-to-use brush and tree stump killer. This chemical effectively kills stumps and woody brushes found around fence lines, non-cropland areas and roadsides. The Tordon stump killer is premixed and features a no-freeze formula for year-round applications. It controls more than 20 species of trees and brushes and works through cut surfaces to reach the root and prevent re-sprouting.
Things You'll Need
- Long-sleeve shirt and pants
- Socks and shoes
- Chemical-resistant gloves
- Safety glasses
- Tree injector or similar device
Dress appropriately before using this product. Wear a long-sleeve shirt, long pants, socks and shoes, chemical-resistant gloves and safety glasses.
Prepare a tree injector, Hypo-Hatchet Tree Injector or similar device with undiluted solution for tree-injection treatment.
Inject the solution through the bark. Work your way around the entire stump in intervals of 2 inches to 3 inches.
Inject near ground level if you are using a tree injector. Make injections 2 feet to 4 feet from the ground if you are using a Hypo-Hatchet injector or similar device.
Prepare a squirt bottle applicator with undiluted solution for frill, girdle and stump treatment, a method of administering the herbicide through cuts or gashes in the bark.
Spray the surface of freshly cut tree or brush stumps with the solution. Make sure to thoroughly wet the cambium area around the bark as well.
Use an ax to cut completely through the bark of a tree. Use either a single-hack girdle, or a series of overlapping cuts and work your way around the entire tree. Get as close to the ground as possible. Spray the cut surface thoroughly with the solution.
Remove all clothing and equipment after using Tordon or any other herbicide solution. Wash the outside of the gloves, then remove them. Change into clean clothes as soon as possible, and wash off thoroughly. Make sure to wash your hands well before eating, drinking, chewing gum, and using the restroom.
Tips & Warnings
- Do not treat maple trees during the spring sap flow.
- Call Poison Control immediately if you get the solution in your eyes, on your skin, or if you accidentally swallow it.
- Keep the container tightly closed when you are not using it.
- Do not store the product near heat.
- Do not re-enter the treated area during the first 48 hours. Allow the chemicals to completely dry.
- Do not apply near crops.
- Photo Credit Photos.com/Photos.com/Getty Images