When you install third party mods for any game you purchased and downloaded through Steam, you do not actually use the Steam client to do so. Instead, you must manually install the mods unless they come with a self-executing file (.exe) to do it for you. There are two ways to install "Dragon Age" mods manually. The first is with the DAUpdater program. The other is to move the files directly into the specified folder.
Installing Mods with the DAUpdater
Find the DAUpdater.exe program. It should be located in the game's "bin_ship" folder. If you can't find the program in the bin_ship folder, do a search for it with your operating system's search function.
Open the program by double-clicking on "DAUpdater.exe."
Drag the mod's ".dazip" file into the DAUpdater window. Alternately, you can left-click on the "Select DAZIPs" button and navigate to the location of the mod's folder.
Left-click on the mod you've selected in the DAUpdater program and left-click the "install selected" button.
Manually Installing Mods
Read the mod's readme file. The specific destination location will be different depending on the type of mod and who made it. Many mods will direct you to install them in the "override folder" of either the core program or the documents folder.
Locate the specified "override" folder. The "override" folder in the core program will be located at "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\dragonageorigins\packages\override" or "C:\Steam\SteamApps\<account>\dragonageorigins\packages\core\override." In the documents folder, the location is "...\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override."
Copy the mod's folder to the "override" folder by right-clicking on the mod folder and selecting "copy" from the menu and then right-clicking in the "override" folder and selecting "paste" from the menu. This is how most mods are installed.
Tips & Warnings
- Most mods will come in some compressed form (usually .zip or .rar). You must extract the mod's contents before it will work. You should extract it to a folder of the same name as the compressed folder when given the option.
- It is generally not necessary to copy the mod's files to both "override" folders.
- Do not install your mods while the game is running. They will not work until you've restarted the game anyway.
- Installing mods for the CD version of the game works in the same way. The only difference will be the location of the core game files.
- Installing third party mods can cause your game to malfunction. You always use mods at your own risk.
- Third party mods do not automatically update like official content for games purchased through Steam. You'll need to search for and manually install third party mod updates.