In "The Sims 3," Sims who have died leave behind gravestones. Gravestones generate ghosts that living Sims can befriend, marry and even have ghost children with. To have a ghost appear on your home lot, its grave must be located there. If the ghost wasn't part of your Sim's household while alive, stealing its grave from the cemetery or from its home lot is a way to bring the ghost to your Sim's home. Having the ghost close by makes a relationship easier. Stealing the remains of a stranger requires a Sim with the kleptomaniac trait.
Give a Sim the Kleptomaniac Trait
Start "The Sims 3" and enter "Create-A-Sim" to design a Sim with the kleptomaniac trait. If you want to play with an existing Sim family, go the next step to use a cheat code to give one of your Sims the kleptomaniac trait.
Press the "Shift," "Ctrl" and "C" keys at the same time and type, without quotes, "testingcheatsenabled true."
Hold down the "Shift" key and click on the Sim you want to have the kleptomaniac trait.
Select the command "Modify Traits for Active Sim." Replace one of the Sim's current traits with "Kleptomaniac," and click the check mark button to save the changes.
Press the "Shift," "Ctrl" and "C" keys at the same time and type "testingcheatsenabled false" to turn the cheat code off.
Steal a Gravestone
Visit the town cemetery or the dead Sim's home lot after 7 p.m., when the sky becomes dark.
Click the ground near the gravestone you want to steal. Choose the command "Swipe Something."
Return to your Sim's home lot. Click the "Buy Mode" button on the game control panel, then click the "Family Inventory" tab. Stolen items appear in the family inventory window, not the Sim's personal inventory window.
Click the icon for the stolen grave and click a location on your Sim's home lot to place the grave. A ghost should appear the following evening.
Tips & Warnings
- Click the mausoleum in the town cemetery and use the "Manage the Dead" command to view the remains of some family friends, people your Sim was close to before they died. To take their remains, drag the headstone icon into your Sim's personal inventory window on the game control panel. Your Sim doesn't need the kleptomaniac trait to do this, but only the graves of a few family friends appear in the mausoleum for taking.
- Ghosts tend to appear between the hours of midnight and 4 a.m.
- A kleptomaniac Sim can steal up to three items per evening.
- The kleptomaniac trait can help your Sim succeed in a criminal career if he chooses the Master Thief track.
- You can't control specifically what the kleptomaniac Sim steals when you tell him to swipe something, but when you're in the cemetery surrounded by so many graves, there is a high chance that's what he'll take. On a stranger's home lot, you may need to use the "Swipe Something" command several times before you get the grave.
- Sometimes the police show up to interrupt the theft and take your Sim to jail.
- A kleptomaniac Sim cannot steal if another Sim is watching him. If you install the "The Sims 3: Late Night" expansion pack, beware paparazzi who linger at the cemetery.
- Carl's Sim 3 Guide and Walkthrough; "The Sims 3" Ghost and Death Guide; Carl Ratcliff
- Carl's Sim 3 Guide and Walkthrough; "The Sims 3" Traits Guide; Carl Ratcliff
- "The Sims 3 User Guide"; Electronic Arts Inc.; 2009
- "The Sims 3: Prima Official Game Guide"; Catherine Browne; 2009
How Do I Make My Sim Super Rich on "Sims 3"?
Some Sims start better off than others; just take a look at those lucky Landgraabs up on the hill. If your Sim...
How to Make a Ghost Come Out on "Sims 3"
If you're interested in adding a new ghostly roommate to your household in *The Sims 3*, you have a few options at...
- Do I Have the Right to Sell the House if I Have Power of Attorney Over My Mom & She Dies?