Vibram FiveFingers sizes run differently than traditional shoes. In these distinct shoes, each toe has its own pocket separated from the other toes. FiveFingers have a thin, minimalist sole that lacks the thick cushioning of sneakers or trail shoes. The design intends to mimic the feeling of being barefoot while adding some protection. Wearing FiveFingers requires correctly sizing your feet for a comfortable fit or risking foot pain from cramped toes and blisters.
Things You'll Need
- Flat ruler or tape measure
- Non-permanent marker
Place a ruler or measuring tape on the floor against a flat wall. Don't use a wall with any decorative finish, such as quarter round or molding, at the bottom along the floor.
Stand with your back to the wall. Put your foot on the measuring device. Scoot your heal firmly against the wall. Keep your foot on the ruler.
Mark the spot with a pen or marker where your longest toe reaches. If you have Morton's toe, the longest toe will probably be your second toe. Measure to this toe or the shoes will not fit correctly.
Look at the length in inches that you marked. Write down which foot you measured and the measurement rounded up to the nearest quarter-inch for men or eighth-inch for women.
Repeat the measuring steps on the other foot. Write down the results.
Check the size chart on Vibram's website. Look at the measurements in inches and find the coinciding size. If your feet differ in size, plan to purchase the shoes to fit the larger foot.
Tips & Warnings
- If you have a local store that sells FiveFingers, go in and try on the size that you found on the chart.
- When ordering FiveFingers online, try to purchase from a place that has free return shipping in case the shoes don't fit.
- Sometimes people land right between sizes on FiveFingers. It is usually better to size up if this happens.
- Wearing FiveFingers that do not fit correctly can hurt your feet.
- Check the size conversion chart carefully. Different styles sometimes vary in sizing.
- You might experience blisters and some discomfort when first wearing your new shoes. If the pain persists, it could mean you have the wrong size.
- If each of your feet measures to a different size, you may need to purchase two pairs to accommodate the size differences.
How to Size a Ring Finger
While a jeweler can easily figure out what size ring you need, that option isn’t always available to you. When you are...
- How to care for your Vibram Five Finger Shoes
Army Recommended Running Shoes
Finding the right running shoes can be a daunting task for anyone. If you're in the U.S. Army, your running shoe shopping...