How to Remove an Estranged Social Security Representative Payee

Remove your Social Security payee if you become estranged.
Remove your Social Security payee if you become estranged. (Image: Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images)

If you are on Social Security, the Social Security Administration may investigate to determine whether or not you are able to manage your finances properly. If they determine you are unable to properly handle financial business, the administration will designate a representative payee, someone close to you who will handle your Social Security payments. If you become estranged from this person, you may want to remove them as your designated payee.

Call the Social Security Administration promptly.

Explain your situation -- that you are estranged from the person and no longer feel he or she will handle the Social Security payments properly. If your circumstances have changed and you no longer need a payee, provide a doctor's note or evidence that supports the claim that you are now responsible with handling payouts. If you still need a payee, let Social Security know the new representative payee whom you would like to designate.

Ask the Social Security Administration to investigate the claim. This may take a week or two, but should happen fairly quickly, especially if you feel that your funds have been mishandled. If any money was misused by the payee, the Social Security Administration will work to recover those funds.

Receive contact from the Social Security Administration. You will receive a letter and/or phone call letting you know the outcome of its investigation.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!