The bowels (or intestines) carry out an important function for the body. The bowels filter out waste and other harmful materials. The colon then eliminates the accumulated fecal matter from the body through bowel movements. But a stagnant colon filled with feces does not function or move properly, causing constipation. The Mayo Clinic in its article "Constipation" defines the condition as fewer than three bowel movements a week. In many cases, a healthier lifestyle and diet prevents constipation or a sluggish colon. But to empty the bowels quickly employ other methods..
Things You'll Need
- Over-the-counter fiber supplement, rectal laxatives or enema kit
Use over-the-counter fiber supplements. According to the Mayo Clinic, fiber supplements are the safest form of laxatives. Drink these pills or capsules with plenty of water for the fastest effect.
Use rectal laxatives. There are many types on the market. Insert suppositories with a waterproof coating into the rectum. Suppositories are small gel capsules that melt, coating the lower region of the colon. Lubricants, such as mineral oil, are in the suppositories. Other laxatives add water to the stools so they pass more easily. These are called stool softeners. Follow the directions on the label carefully to get fast relief from constipation.
Buy over-the-counter enema kits. Enemas have a long history of emptying out the colon. Drugstores sell kits that contain liquid solutions is a bottle with a small tube at the end. A person inserts the tube into the rectum then squeezes the bottle to release the water into the rectum. The water loosens fecal matter and brings about a bowel movememt in a few hours time in most cases.
Tips & Warnings
- See a doctor for constipation that does not respond to laxatives.
- Avoid eating foods high in sugar and fat. Also eating low-fiber foods in large amounts causes constipation or makes it worse in some people reports the Mayo Clinic.
- Laxatives are for short-term use only suggests the Mayo Clinic and can become habit forming.
- Emptying the bowels fast is a relative term. Each person will respond to the fiber supplements. rectal laxative or enema in a different time frame depending on a variety of factors such as overall health, diet and physical activity level.