Cutting stone sounds like a difficult task. But with the right tools and a little practice this can be a straightforward and safe way to customize sandstone for landscaping projects around the house. Sandstone is one of the softer types of stone used for landscaping, and different colors of sandstone are found in various geographical areas that can provide a striking trim for your yard.
Things You'll Need
- 4½-inch grinder
- Diamond saw blade for stone
Measure the space where you plan for the stone to fit. Generally, you want to use the natural edges of the stone toward the center of the pattern with the edge to be trimmed on the outside of the design or walkway.
Mark the stone where the cut is to be made with a pencil. Make sure you score a good heavy line so you can see it when cutting dust starts to fly.
Place the stone on a stable platform for cutting. You don't want a wobble in your work surface once you've started cutting. Waist high is best with plenty of area to work.
Make a shallow score cut with a grinder. Start on the edges of the stone and work toward the top. This will create a lot of dust, so don't hesitate to stop if you feel the need. Remember not to add water to keep the dust down. A standard grinder is not recommended for wet use.
Make a full depth cut following the shallow score. Depending on the thickness of the material, make a full depth cut from one end to the other.
Remove excess dust from the stone with a medium-bristle brush. Make sure the stone is as clean as possible before setting it in the final position.
Tips & Warnings
- If you aren't able to make a full depth cut with the grinder, use a chisel and hammer after cutting to break the excess material away and clean the edge with the grinder.
- This technique is good for sandstone up to 2 inches. If your stone is thicker than this, use a wet cutting method with a different type of saw.
- Be sure to use proper protective equipment, including eye, ear, hand and respiratory gear.
- Photo Credit Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images