You can effectively create expanding snow powder for children to play with by using a polymer gel powder or sodium polyacrylate. The snow powder can be piled on Christmas tree branches and is useful as fake snow around a Christmas village collection. Making fake snow that expands is also an interesting way to teach children about science and the absorption abilities of different materials.
Things You'll Need
- Polymer gel powder or sodium polyacrylate (water crystals)
- Measuring cup
- Plastic bowl or tray
- Disposable diapers (optional)
Place 1 ounce of the polymer gel powder or sodium polyacrylate into a plastic bowl or tray.
Slowly add approximately 10 ounces of cool or room-temperature water to the powder.
Stir the mixture until the powder expands and gets a fluffy consistency.
Add more water for a slushier snow consistency.
Tips & Warnings
- Sodium polyacrylate is sold at garden centers or home supply stores.
- You can also use the powder found inside a disposable diaper to make expanding snow. Rip open the diaper, put the powder in a bowl, and add water to the powder.
- Photo Credit Creatas Images/Creatas/Getty Images
How to Make Snow
You don't need cold weather to have snow; in fact, you can make homemade snow any time in a variety of ways...