How to Find a Skipped Tenant With USPS

You can find out where your former tenant's mail is being forwarded
You can find out where your former tenant's mail is being forwarded (Image: Zedcor Wholly Owned/ Images)

If your tenant has left and not provided you with a forwarding address, or satisfied her obligations to you, the U.S. Postal Service may have an easy way to get in touch. If your tenant has filed a change of address in order to have her mail forwarded, you can send a piece of mail which will be returned with her new address, if known. You can also send mail that will be forwarded with a notice of the new address sent to you for a small fee.

Things You'll Need

  • Envelope or postcard with postage
  • Address of your rental unit and name tenant used for mail

Type on an envelope or postcard your return address in the upper left and the tenant's name and address at your rental unit in the center.

Under your return address, type "RETURN SERVICE REQUESTED" to receive the item back with any new address, or "ADDRESS SERVICE REQUESTED" to have the piece forwarded and receive a separate notice of any new address for a small fee.

Mail the item. If any forwarding order is on file, you should receive the new address.

Tips & Warnings

  • Be sure to type the item you are mailing, so that it is processed by the computerized postal system automatically. Handwritten items have to be processed separately with a chance your request might be overlooked.
  • After 12 months, all mail will be returned with any information rather than forwarded. After 18 months, the item will be returned with the reason for nondelivery.
  • Make sure the last name matches the one used by the tenant for mail at your unit. If an individual forwarding order is on file, that will ensure that it is found.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


Related Searches

Check It Out

Are You Really Getting A Deal From Discount Stores?

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!