How to Register a Complaint Against a Landlord in Nevada


There are different situations where you may need to register a complaint against your landlord. If your landlord in Nevada is not keeping a rental property in habitable condition or has broken an agreement outlined in the lease, you may be able to break your lease or take legal action against him. There are some agencies and organizations in Nevada that can help you with these types of concerns although there is no formal complaint process in the state.

  • Write a letter to your landlord that will serve as a formal complaint. According to Nevada law, you must give your landlord written notice, even if you have already told him about the problem, and allow him 14 days to correct the problem. Make a copy of the letter for your records and send the letter to him by certified mail.

  • Contact a local tenant association if your landlord does not make the needed repairs in the time frame. In Nevada, there are tenant associations, and if there is one in your area, they may be able to help you with your landlord. You may also contact a landlord association to file a complaint.

  • Find your local housing authority. There are several branches of United States Department of Housing and Urban Development throughout Nevada. If you live in federal housing, the housing authority will remedy the situation. They may also be able to provide you with additional resources even if you do not live in federal housing.

  • Call city hall in your town. Some towns and cities have departments to handle complaints about landlords and facilitate mediation in cases of tenant-landlord disputes.

  • File a complaint through the Rental Protection Agency. Although the RPA charges 35 dollars and cannot provide any legal recourse, the agency may be able to help you reach an agreement with your landlord.

  • Register a complaint with your local Better Business Bureau in your area. Depending on if your landlord is a company or an individual, you may be able to file a complaint at

  • Move out of your rental if you are able to. Under Nevada law, you can break your lease if your landlord does not fix the repairs within 14 days of receiving the written notice. Notify your landlord in writing that you are terminating your lease because of the issue. Ask for your security deposit and any other money owed to you to be returned.

  • File a complaint in civil court. You may need to take your landlord to small claims court to get back security deposits or other money owed. Talk to a lawyer or legal aid in your area for assistance.


  • Photo Credit Images
Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

Related Searches

Read Article

10 Most Needed Jobs in the Future

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!