A new sport has emerged for owners and their dogs. Dog agility is fun and great exercise. The human guides the dog through an obstacle course and runs against the clock. Several pieces of equipment make up agility courses. Agility sets are fairly easy and inexpensive to make yourself.
Things You'll Need
- PVC pipe
- Downspout flexible tubing
- Duct tape
- Bungee cords
- Particle board
- 2-by-4-inch board
Build the feet by inserting two pieces of 18-inch-long by 1-inch diameter PVC pipe into a T joint, placing each piece into opposite ends of the T joint. Make two of these. Leave the top of the T joint open.
Insert a PVC pipe cut to a 36-inch length into the top of the T joint. Do the same with the other foot.
Place an elbow joint on top of both vertical 36-inch pieces. Insert another 36-inch PVC pipe into the openings of the elbows, connecting the two vertical pieces together.
Take a 3-inch-wide by 12-foot-long flexible downspout tubing and form it into a circle.
Insert open ends into each other making a circle.
Use colored duct tape to make strips on the downspout, covering it in white and then using another color on top of the white.
The Pause Table
Cut a piece of particle board 3 feet by 3 feet.
Make four legs for the table from a two-by-four.
Cut the two-by-four into four equal pieces, each 3 inches to 30 inches high, depending on how big your dog is and how high the dog can jump.
Secure the legs onto the particle board by nailing them on from the top of the table using 2-inch nails.
Paint the table.
Tips & Warnings
- Most items can be found inexpensively at hardware stores.
- Check with plumbers in your area to see if they will give you discarded PVC tubing or leftover pieces.
- Use an old coffee table as the pause table.
- Use an inner tube as the tire in the jump.
- Make sure no sharp edges of PVC pipe are exposed. If so, file them down.
- Ensure nails are flush with the surface so the dog doesn't get caught on them.
- Photo Credit Apple Tree House/Lifesize/Getty Images