Globe Telecom is one of the major telecommunications companies in the Philippines. It provides Filipinos with mobile network and broadband services with options for prepaid and post-paid subscriptions. It is also one of the two companies that offer roaming services for its subscribers. The other company is Smart Communications. Usually, when using a mobile phone with Globe service for the first time, you must first activate the handset settings to take advantage of the network’s GPRS service.
Confirm your cell phone manufacturer and model number because you need this when requesting activation. Globe provides each handset model with specific settings for its system. You may also confirm the exact model number of your handset by calling either your phone manufacturer’s customer service or Globe Telecom’s customer service, which is “211” when calling from a Globe mobile phone or “+63-2-730-1000” when calling from a land-line phone or a non-Globe mobile phone.
Create a new SMS message. Type in “GO (cell phone manufacturer and model),” then send it to “2951.” However, due to the many available handsets Globe supports, the exact SMS message may vary slightly. In this case, it is best to ask a customer service representative to confirm the exact text message to use. For instance, when using some Nokia handsets in which you must type in “GO (handset model),,1234” to “2951.” The last four digits actually comprise the handset’s default PIN, which is preceded by two commas.
Wait for the SMS message you will receive, which confirms the successful installation of the GPRS settings for the handset. Depending on the exact handset used, some may automatically install the settings, while others may require entering the handset’s PIN before the activation is completed. This may be the handset’s default PIN or your own selected PIN (if you already changed the default PIN). If you are unable to retrieve your PIN, contact your cell phone manufacturer to request a PIN reset.
Tips & Warnings
- Globe Telecom and other handset manufacturers may change the steps on how to activate a phone's GPRS settings without prior notice.
- Mobile handsets directly bought in a Globe Telecom store have the GPRS service automatically installed. However, phones coming directly from Globe or any other mobile network are typically locked to a single network, which means the phone cannot be used with another network, unless an unlocking modification is made to the handset. Such modification may void the handset warranty.
- Cool Buster: Activate Globe MMS and GPRS
- Technology Talks: How to Setup WAP by Activating GPRS and MMS of Globe Cell Phones
- Tech at Hand: How to Setup WAP by Enabling GPRS and MMS of Smart Cell Phones
- Eternal Moonlight: Configure MMS, GPRS, 3G, etc. (Globe, Smart, Sun)
- Zimbio: How to Activate Your GPRS/MMS for All Philippine Networks
Duties of a Verizon Wireless Customer Service Representative
Verizon Wireless is one of the biggest names in the mobile service industry, with more than 2,000 stores and kiosks, as well...
What is GPRS Roaming?
GPRS, or general packet radio service, is a mobile data service offered on 2G (second-generation) and 3G (third-generation) cellular networks. GPRS services...
How to Open GPRS in Smart Phones
Smart phones use GPRS to connect to your mobile carrier and allow you to roam. GPRS is the wireless network that allows...
How to Get My Phone to Receive Pics
A picture can capture memorable moments and provide smiles to loved ones. An overwhelming number of cell phones have the capability to...