Homeowners and professional landscapers find themselves battling an unusual problem: crawfish that dig holes and leave unattractive chimneys of mud. These unwelcome visitors are known as burrowing crawfish and will dig holes as deep as 5 feet to access the water table. Raccoons, armadillos, and other creatures who eat crawfish can cause significant damage to your yard when feeding on crawfish. Because of the depth of the holes and their nocturnal nature, getting a crawfish out of their holes in low-laying areas can be both time consuming and expensive. With patience and persistence, it can be done.
Things You'll Need
- Crawfish trap
- Oily meat, such as sausage or hot dogs
Set a crawfish trap by placing the meat inside and then setting it next to the hole.
Leave overnight. Crawfish are nocturnal and only come out of their holes to mate and eat. They will be drawn to the bait, but only while it dark.
Check your trap in the morning to see if the crawfish have taken the bait. More than likely you will have a crawfish in your trap.
Tips & Warnings
- The best way to remove crawfish from your lawn or property is to lower the water table to the point where their burrowing can't reach it. In other words, drain the land and they will eventually go away as the topsoil hardens.
- Call your county extension service to ask them for help and advice in dealing with your particular species of crawfish, especially if your yard is heavily infested.
- Do not be tempted to poison crawfish with commercial over-the-counter pesticides. Crawfish only burrow where there is a water table available and the poison will immediately leach into the surrounding water.
- Photo Credit Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
How to Catch Crayfish
Find a fishing hole. Crawdads are found all across the United States, in ponds, lakes, streams and rivers. ... Want to catch...
How to Get Rid of Crawdads in the Yard
Crawdads--also referred to as crawfish, crayfish, freshwater crabs and freshwater lobsters--can become a nuisance for homeowners. It is unusual to think of...
How to Catch a Crawdad the Oklahoma Way
How to Get a Wooden Dowel out of Its Hole. ... How to Get Crawfish Out of Their Hole. ... crawfish that...
How to Make Crawfish Traps With Plastic Bottles
The plastic bottle may keep ripping if you do that and the hole might rip open. If using the razorblade, ... Crawfish...
Types of Crayfish in Michigan
How to Get Crawfish Out of Their Hole. Homeowners and professional landscapers find themselves battling an unusual problem: crawfish that dig holes...