Water will dissolve almost anything. In fact, tap water may contain dozens of chemicals in addition to water. Some of the dissolved material originates from the rocks in which the aquifer is located. Rocks such as limestone, chalk and calcareous sandstone add polyvalent positively charged ions of calcium and magnesium to the water. These cause "hardness," which is measured in parts per million (ppm) or grains per gallon (gpg). Converting ppm to gpg is simple, but requires a calculator.
Things You'll Need
Enter the water hardness value, in parts per million, into the calculator. Double-check the entry to ensure that it is accurate.
Divide the ppm hardness value by 17.1, the conversion factor for ppm to gpg. The result is the water hardness expressed in grains per gallon. For example, 180 ppm is equivalent to 10.526 gpg -- 180 / 17.1 = 10.526.
Round the result to one decimal place, the same degree of accuracy as the conversion factor, and state the units as gpg.
For example, using the example in Step 2, write the result as 10.5 gpg.
- University of Nebraska - Lincoln Extension, Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources; Drinking Water - Hard Water (Calcium and Magnesium); Sharon O. Skipton and Bruice I. Dvorak; July 2009
- United States Environmental Protection Agency: Water on Tap - What You Need To Know
- Virginia Cooperative Extension, Virginia Tech, and Virginia State University - Household Water Quality; Water Hardness; Amber Wilson et al
- Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service; Interpreting Water Test Reports Part One: Inorganic Materials; Ron F. Turco and Cheri L. Janssen
- Photo Credit BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images
How to Convert Water Hardness in mg/L to GPG
How to Convert Water Hardness in mg/L to GPG. ... The conversion factor is accurate to one decimal place, so round the...
Degrees of Hardness in the PPM of Hard Water
How to Convert PPM to Grains in Water Hardness; Print this article; Soft Water. Soft water has fewer than 75 ppm (parts...
How to Convert Cubic Centimeters to Grains
How to Convert Water Hardness Grains to Milligrams (MG) Multiply the grains per gallon value by the GPG to mg/L conversion factor,...
How to Convert H2S Grains to Parts Per Million
Hydrogen sulfide (H2S) is a polluting and flammable gas that is generated by industrial processes. It is responsible for the "rotten egg...
How to Choose a Water Softener Using Grains
How to Convert PPM to Grains in Water Hardness. The result is the water hardness expressed in grains per gallon. ...
How to Convert Grams to Grains
Use a calculator to check the multiplication and division of the conversion from grams to grains and grains to grams. ... How...
How to Convert PPM to MG/L
How to Convert PPM to MG/L. Scientists routinely use units of parts per million, or ppm, ... How to Convert Water Hardness...
How to Convert Milligrams per Liter to Parts per Million
"Parts per million" sounds like a small quantity and it is. One part per million (ppm), for example, ... How to Convert...