This is a wonderful, meat-free entrée that's perfect for a holiday dinner. Make the filling as the squash is baking. Serves 4.
Things You'll Need
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 stalk chopped celery
- 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese
- cranberry relish
- 1 large crushed garlic clove
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 c. raisins (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
- salt to taste
- 2 acorn or butternut squashes
- 1/4 c. sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 c. chopped walnuts
- 1 c. coarsely crumbled wheat bread
- Baking Sheets
- Baking sheets
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Split the squashes lengthwise down the middle.
Remove squash seeds and fibers and bake, facedown, on an oiled baking sheet for 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender enough to eat.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet and add the onion, garlic, celery, walnuts and seeds.
Cook over low heat until onions are translucent, nuts are browned and celery is tender.
Add sage, thyme, bread, lemon juice, raisins (optional), and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, over low heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
Remove mixture from heat and stir in cheese.
Pack the stuffing into the cavities of the squash, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and return the squash to the oven to bake another 25 minutes. Serve with cranberry relish (see "How to Make Spiced Cranberry Sauce" for a good recipe).
Tips & Warnings
- Acorn squash or butternut squash are ideal for this recipe. Make sure you get a good-size squash.
- Omit the cheese for vegans. (Vegans don't eat any animal products, even dairy.)
- You can actually use any stuffing you want - substitute a favorite recipe for the stuffing described here.
How to Make Squash Dressing
Squash dressing is a Southern side dish that is very similar to basic chicken and dressing. It is excellent served alongside fried...
- How to Bake Butternut Squash
How to Cook Pattypan Squash
Pattypans are a beautiful summer squash similar in texture and flavor to zucchini. Three easy preparations include roasting, grilling, and sautéing.
How to Make Butternut Squash Soup
Creamy and comforting, butternut squash soup is a wonderful dish to make for chilly fall or winter nights.