Centrifugation is a standard scientific process involving rotation. Revolutions per minute, or RPM, measures how frequently a rotor arm spins; however, the radius of the rotor also factors into the force exerted at the end of the rotor arm. To standardize the forces used on different centrifuges a different measurement, called relative centrifugal force (RCF), is used; this is calculated from the RPM and the radius of the rotor, and thus is a measurement independent of the equipment used.
Things You'll Need
Determine the point in the test tube at which to calculate the RCF; measure the radius of the tube, in millimeters, at that point. Call this distance "r" and record it for later use.
Substitute the values for rpm and r into the formula for Relative Centrifugal Force:
RCF = 1.12r (rpm/1,000)^2.
For example, with an rpm of 200 and an r value of 30, the formula becomes:
RCF = (1.12 x 30) x (200/1,000)^2.
Reduce the equation to calculate the RCF value. Using the example in the previous step, the equation reduces to:
RCF = 33.6 x (0.2)^2
This further resolves to 1.1344. The resulting RCF is the rpm value converted to relative centrifugal force.
Tips & Warnings
- The RCF will vary along the length of a spinning test tube because the force is proportional to the length of the total arm; the force at the base of the test tube is greater than the force at the top of the tube.
- Always measure the arm radius in the metric system, using millimeters, rather than in standard units per standard scientific practice.
- University of Florida; McKnight Brain Institute; Cetrifugation Calculator 2; Gerry Shaw Ph.D
- Polytechnic Institute of NYU - AMPS/CBRI: Aircraft Propeller Revolutions per Minute
- University of Florida; McKnight Brain Institute; Cetrifugation Calculator; Gerry Shaw Ph.D
- Gustavus Adolphus College; Appendix F: Centrifugation; William H. Heidcamp
- Iowa State University Office of Biotechnology - Protein Facility; Introduction to Protein Techniques; 2008
- King Saud University; Physical Biochemistry 2-Hydrodynamic Methods (Sedimentation, Centrifugation and Ultracentrifugation; Gihan Gawish Ph.D.; 2011
- Photo Credit Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
What Is the Formula for RPM?
RPM, defined as revolutions per minute, is an internationally accepted expression of rotational velocity. It refers to the number of revolutions a...
How to Convert RPM to Feet per Minute
Some machines, such as car engines or drills are designed with rotational speed in mind. When a machine rotates, its speed is...
What Factors Determine the Wind Speed?
Air can move along a vertical or horizontal axis. When large quantities of air move up along a vertical axis, the end...