The cane toad, also known as giant toad and marine toad, lives throughout North and South America, and parts of Australia. The cane toad has become a nuisance to homeowners due to the toxicity of the animal. The toad can secrete and spritz a toxic fluid from glands on its head when threatened. This substance can cause skin irritations to humans and potentially kill pets. Proper disposing of cane toads should be done when found.
Things You'll Need
- Eye goggles
- Garden gloves
- Benzocaine ointment
- Plastic bags
- Garbage bag
- Yellow florescent light bulbs
Identify the glands directly behind the toads eyes on the back of its head, to ensure that you're getting rid of a cane toad. Sometimes, a milky white substance can be seen from these glands.
Place eye goggles onto your head. Put on a pair of garden gloves to avoid touching the toad with your bare hands.
Squeeze a 1-inch strip of benzocaine ointment down the neck and back of the cane toad. Allow this ointment to penetrate the toad's skin for at least 30 minutes.
Pick the toad up and place it into a plastic bag. Tie the bag and place this bag into another plastic bag.
Wash your hands as a precaution. Place the toad into your freezer for three days.
Put the toad into a garbage bag and seal it tight. Dispose of the toad in your garbage.
Remove any pet food and water dishes from your yard to avoid inviting the toads into your yard.
Use yellow florescent light bulbs instead of white light bulbs. Yellow light eliminates the amount of insects around your home and cane toads as well.
Install fencing around your yard to exclude cane toads. Bury the fencing 1 foot into the ground to prevent the toad from burrowing beneath the fence. The fence should also have a height of at least 2 feet.
Dispose of cane toad eggs from your pool, ponds or any outside containers that contain water. Cane toad eggs look like long strands or black pearls. Remove the toad eggs with a rake and wash your hands after removal. Dispose of the eggs in a garbage bag.
Tips & Warnings
- Wash your pet's mouth with water when accidental exposure occurs.
- Tip your pet's face downwards while flushing with water to avoid accidental swallowing of the water. Get your pet immediately to your veterinarian.
- Photo Credit Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images PhotoObjects.net/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images