How to Get Your GED Around the World


The General Education Diploma allows students in the United States and Canada to obtain the equivalent of a high school diploma through testing. The GED test officially states that the student has obtained the skill level necessary to pass high school in the United States and Canada, although universities may look upon the GED less favorably that completing school traditionally. Of course, this will vary depending on your situation or institution. If you are an American or Canadian living abroad, you are still eligible to take the test.

Things You'll Need

  • US or Canadian passport
  • Locate a GED testing center. You can do this by contacting the public affairs officer at your nearest American or Canadian embassy or education officer at a local military base. You can also log on to the American Council on Education website, click on "Locate a GED Testing Center," and then use the "Advanced Search" link to find the country in which you reside.

  • Provide proof of eligibility to the monitor in charge of GED testing at your embassy, military base or testing center. You must meet the age requirement in your state (see your state of residence's Department of Education website) or be 18 if you're not a resident of a state (19 in Canada). Some states may have special arrangements for those under 18, so be sure to check with your Department of Education for specific information. You must also be able to provide a passport or birth certificate proving your U.S. or Canadian citizenship and not currently be enrolled in an American or Canadian accredited high school program.

  • Fill out the application given to you by the chief examiner and bring in necessary papers (birth certificate or passport) to your chief examiner for her to sign. Mail the application, with chief examiner's signature to the GED Testing Service at:

    GED International Testing Service

    1 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 10

    Washington, DC 20036-1163

  • Make an appointment with your chief examiner to take the test. The test will be mailed to him so that you may take it at the arranged time.

  • Wait for test to be scored. You will be notified by your testing center if you have passed and will receive a GED diploma from the state in which you reside. If you are not a resident of a state, you can request a diploma from states that do not require residency. These states include Georgia, New Jersey, Nevada, Alberta, New Brunswick, Arizona, Nova Scotia, Vermont, North Dakota, Iowa and Maine.


  • Photo Credit Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

  • How to Take the GED Test Online

    For people who were unable to obtain a traditional high school diploma, the General Education Development (GED) test may be extremely beneficial...

  • How to Take the GED Test at Home

    Once a person completes the General Educational Development test, that person will receive a certificate that is referred to by most as...

Related Searches

Check It Out

Can You Take Advantage Of Student Loan Forgiveness?

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!