Caring for a new piercing is simple, easy and does not have to be expensive. Keeping the area clean until and after the piercing is healed will not only decrease the risk of infection, but will also keep it fresh. It is normal for new piercings to let out discharge including blood and puss, known as crusties, which will harden up. If left alone, these crusties will begin to smell, so it is important to keep your piercings clean.
Things You'll Need
- Cotton wool pad
- Saline solution
Wash your hands thoroughly then soak a cotton wool pad in saline solution.
Place the pad on your piercing and hold it there for one or two minutes. This will soften the area and loosen any bits of discharge that have hardened and formed a crust around the jewelry.
Wipe the area with a clean cotton wool pad after soaking to take away any loosened crusties. Make sure the area is clean all the way around the piercing, front and back.
Tips & Warnings
- You can clean your piercing using saline solution or you can make your own. Using a sea salt water solution is much cheaper and just as effective at cleaning and preventing infection. To make it, mix 1 teaspoon of sea salt in a cup of boiling water and leave to cool before applying to the skin.
- Clean the piercing at least twice a day until the area has healed completely. The healing time will vary depending on where the piercing is and how thick the skin in that area is.
- Do not use table salt as an alternative to sea salt as it will irritate the piercing.
- Do not turn the jewelry around, even when cleaning.
- Avoid contact sports and swimming pools until the piercing has healed.
How to Heal a Naval Piercing
The belly button or navel is a popular place to get pierced on the body, particularly for women. Piercing the navel is...
How to Keep Your Labret From Smelling
A labret piercing is considered an oral piercing, as the stud is placed directly under the middle of the bottom lip. Oral...
Tips on Body Piercing Jewelry Types
Learn about body piercing jewelry with expert piercing tips from a professional body piercing shop in this free body art video clip.