Most users of Verizon DSL service will use the Westell 6100G DSL modem. This device provides Internet connectivity at speeds that are much faster than dial-up. Connecting the Verizon Westell 6100G modem directly to your computer or to your wireless network is a relatively straightforward task that can be performed in less than 15 minutes. Those who wish to use the Westell 6100G modem with their wireless router must adjust a few settings after installing the modem.
Things You'll Need
- Westell 6100G Modem
- RJ-11 telephone cable
- RJ-45 Ethernet cable
- Wireless router (optional)
Insert the power supply cord into the power connector on the modem. Plug the power supply into an available wall outlet.
Connect the RJ-11 telephone cable into the wall socket used for DSL service. Plug the other end of the RJ-11 telephone cable into the socket marked "DSL" on the modem.
Connect the RJ-45 Ethernet cable into the socket marked "Ethernet" on the modem. Plug the other end of the RJ-45 Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port located on the side or rear of your computer. If you want to connect the Westell 6100G modem to a wireless router, plug the other end of the RJ-45 Ethernet cable into the port marked "Internet" on your router.
Observe the lights on the front of the modem. Make sure the Power LED, DSL LED and Ethernet LED lights are all solid green. Solid green lights indicate a properly functioning connection.
Tips & Warnings
- After connecting your Westell 6100G modem to a wireless router, you will have to set the Wide Area Network (WAN) connection type to "Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet" and enter the username and password used for the service. The username and password comes with your Verizon DSL service. Access your router's configuration page and change the aforementioned settings for a successful connection.
- "Westell WireSpeed Dual Connect NAT Router (Model 6100) User Guide"; Westell; 2006
- Verizon: Installing the Linksys Wireless Router with a Westell 6100 Modem
- Photo Credit Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
How to Reset a Westell 6100 Modem
The Westell 6100 modem allows you to access the Internet via DSL connection. ... Most users of Verizon DSL service will use...
How to Set Up a Westell 6100 DSL Modem
How to Connect a Verizon Westell 6100G Modem. Most users of Verizon DSL service will use the Westell 6100G DSL modem.
How to Troubleshoot a Westell 6100 That's Not Working
How to Configure a Verizon Westell Router 6100. Configuring a router for a home network can be quite a challenge, even if...
How to Disable the Firewall in a Westell Modem
Regardless of your model, you will find that the firewall can easily be disabled. Other People Are Reading. How to Configure a...