You're moving cross-country and you've rented a U-Haul to move everything you own. During the trip, you stay in a motel and wake to an empty space where you'd parked your vehicle. Someone has stolen your U-Haul and all your possessions.
Immediately call the police and make a theft report.
Give the police all the information about the vehicle that you have. If your paperwork was stolen with the truck, you'll have to call the dealer from whom you rented the U-Haul and get that information.You may also have to provide a list of its contents.
Call customer service at 1-800-GOUHAUL to report the vehicle stolen. Provide all the information in the police report and the information in your vehicle's contract. If you're reporting between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., a customer service representative will take all the information down and contact equipment recovery. If you call between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., a hotline staffer will take down all the information. She'll report it to equipment recovery first thing in the morning.
Tips & Warnings
- In case of theft, carry your U-Haul contract with whenever you leave the vehicle.
- Contact your auto and homeowner's insurance companies before you leave on your trip to determine if you have coverage for theft of the vehicle or its contents.
- You're responsible to U-Haul for the cost of the stolen vehicle; none of its "insurance" plans covers theft of the vehicle or its contents.
- At the time of rental, get some type of U-Haul insurance to cover the vehicle for damage other than theft; you're responsible for the entire cost of any damage if you don't have insurance. Two of U-Haul's three offered "insurance plans" include coverage for the contents, as well for damage to the vehicle itself (collisions, fire, overturns, windstorms and upsets), but don't include theft coverage. You may also be subject to a deductible or other exclusions. Read the coverage carefully.
- Photo Credit Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
Does Auto Insurance Cover Items Stolen From Your Vehicle?
Auto insurance can be difficult to understand, especially if you need to understand whether or not your loss is going to be...
How Much Is a U-Haul Truck to Rent?
U-Haul trucks offer a cheap option if you're moving in town. You supply the labor, boxes and driver. U-Haul supplies the truck....
Does Any Insurance Cover Personal Belongings If the Car Was Unlocked?
It would be bad enough if your personal belongings were stolen from your car, but you'd feel even worse knowing that you...
What to Do When You Lose Your Passport in the USA?
A passport is required to exit and enter the U.S. (as well as to travel to other countries). While many people do...