Smoking tobacco has been around for hundreds of years. Cigarette smoking became popular across the United States in the early 1900s and grew until the early 1950s when scientific warnings began to emerge about the damages smoking tobacco can do to one's health.
Due to those health warnings, many cigarette companies began including filters onto the end of their cigarettes which are supposed to reduce the intake of tar and nicotine into the body. Filter-less cigarettes are still sold today, however, and they are smoked the same way a cigarette with a filter is smoked.
Things You'll Need
- Filter-less cigarette
- Lighter or match
Remove a filter-less cigarette from the pack and place either end of the cigarette between your lips. Since filter-less cigarettes have no filter it doesn't matter which end you choose to smoke.
Use a lighter or match to light the end of the cigarette that is not in your mouth. Hold the flame to the end of the cigarette and suck on the part of the cigarette that is in your mouth. The flame and intake of oxygen should effectively light the one end of the cigarette and keep it burning.
Hold the non-lit end of the cigarette between your lips and inhale deeply to get all of the nicotine and tobacco into your lungs. Exhale to release the smoke that is in your lungs. Repeat until approximately ½-inch of the cigarette is left.
Remove what is left of the cigarette from your mouth and dab the lit end out in an ashtray or public cigarette receptacle.
Tips & Warnings
- Don't smoke filter-less cigarettes if it's your first time smoking. Filter-less cigarettes let more nicotine and tobacco into your system than cigarettes with filters which can cause you dizziness or headaches.
- Smoking filter-less cigarettes - or any cigarettes at all - puts you at a higher risk for various forms of cancer and can cause severe nicotine addiction.
- Do not throw the cigarette butt on the ground to put it out as that counts as littering and is illegal.
- Also, do not throw the butt in a garbage container when it is still lit as a fire can easily start.
- Photo Credit Ryan McVay/Digital Vision/Getty Images
How to Remove the Filter Material From the Cigarette
There are three parts to a standard cigarette. There is the filter, the tobacco and the rolling paper. Filterless cigarettes are called...
Signs That Someone Is Smoking Cigarettes
Tobacco is a plant containing the drug nicotine and is the primary ingredient in cigarettes. The tobacco plant is very small and...
How to Get Rid of Smoker's Lips
One of the many negative effects of smoking is lip damage. Habitual smokers suffer from dry and chapped lips and often notice...
Filtered vs. Unfiltered Cigarettes
Before the 1950s, all cigarettes were sold without filters. At the time, no health risks were associated with smoking and cigarettes were...