How to Get Out of Disorderly Conduct Charges as a Minor


Disorderly conduct is a kind of catch-all charge for various offenses, including public drunkenness, disturbing the peace, loitering, fighting, obstruction of traffic, loud or obnoxious noise and obscene language. Even though the offense is normally classified as a misdemeanor for juveniles and adults, a disorderly conduct conviction can interfere with a person's educational and professional opportunities. It can also influence the outcome of future legal charges. Therefore, it is advisable to attempt to have the charges dropped.

  • Contact a juvenile defender in your area. Many law firms offer free initial consultations, so you can receive professional counsel about your case and any particulars of state law on disorderly conduct. In most states, disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor, but the kinds of activities classified as disorderly conduct vary from one state to the next.

  • Obtain witness statements from those at the scene of the incident who can attest to your innocence. Disorderly conduct is charged when a person is behaving disruptively, so witnesses affirming you were not disturbing them or the peace will discredit the charges. Depending upon the court, you may be required to formally subpoena witness statements in order to have them admitted as evidence. If so, you must have an attorney sign the subpoena to legitimate the document.

  • Attend your hearing. When you are charged with disorderly conduct, you will be assigned a hearing date and time. The hearing is your opportunity to plead your innocence, so failure to appear in court will result in an automatic guilty verdict. If you cannot attend the hearing date, call the court in advance to reschedule. Legal matters qualify as an excused absence from school.

  • Present your case to the judge at the hearing. Produce as evidence witness statements that affirm your innocence. Explain that you were provoked by the officer, if such is the case. According to Criminal Law Lawyer Source, defendants are often arrested for disorderly conduct after being taunted or provoked by unreasonable police officers. If you plead guilty, explain to the judge that this is your first offense (if true) and that you have learned your lesson. Some judges are lenient with juveniles and will drop charges against a first-time offender.


  • Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Read Article

10 Most Needed Jobs in the Future

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!