Designing your own embossed seal or crest gives you an elegant way to personalize letterhead, certificates, important documents, party invitations and personal stationary. The best way to design your own embossed seal or crest is to create a custom embossing tool with changeable dies. This can be done using stock or custom images and working with a reputable dye maker to create your seal or crest to your specific design specifications.
Things You'll Need
- Black and white line art or logo
- Measurements of preferred die size(s)
- Foil seals
Decide what you would like your embossed seal or crest design to look like. You can provide an embossing tool maker with black and white line art, a corporate logo, fonts for monograms or request a stock image or custom design. If you want more than one design, you can request additional changeable dies with different images that can be switched out of your embossing press.
Choose the shape and size of your embossing seal. Typical shapes include circle, starburst, square, oval and rectangle, and sizes usually range from 1.5 to 2.5 inches in diameter. You can also select borders or outlines for your embossing stamp that follow the lines of the size and shape you select.
Select the style of embossing tool that best meets your needs. Hand-held embossers are ideal for occasional personal use with lightweight paper stock, while desk embossers are better suited to high-frequency professional needs, such as embossing certificates or card stock. Professional-grade electric embossers and heavy cast iron embossers are also available for heavy, frequent use.
Select the color and type of foil seals you want to use with your embossing tool. Stationary seals come in a variety of metallic and matte colors. You can choose from "peel-and-stick" seals or glue-backed seals. You can purchase foil seals from embossing stamp companies, office supply companies and stationary stores.
Test your new embossing tool on scrap paper before using it on stationary, letterhead or certificates. Experiment with different paper weights and apply different levels of pressure to achieve the look you want. Make perfect deep embossed foil stationary seals or crests by carefully positioning your foil seal on your paper and aligning the seal directly above it. Squeeze the embossing tool on to the paper and gently release.
Tips & Warnings
- It's not necessary to use a foil seal with your embossing tool -- you can still create a raised embossed seal or crest on plain paper or card stock using the tool by itself.
- Embossed seal and crest dies will wear down over time, decreasing the depth and impression of your embossed seal. The life of an embossing die generally depends on the weight and quality of the embossing tool, the weight of the paper being embossed and the frequency of use. When you notice your impression beginning to fade, or notice you must apply greater pressure to achieve depth, it's time to replace your die.
- You can find embossing tool manufacturers through office supply or stationary stores.
- Embossing tools require hand strength to operate, and you can strain muscles if you're embossing for a significant amount of time. Break your embossing project into manageable time spans that feel right for your physical ability.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
How to Create Your Own Corporate Seal
A corporate seal denotes the mark or signature of a corporation and is most often an embossed impression. The seal was originally...
How to Make Your Own Envelope Wax Seal
How to Make Your Own Envelope Wax Seal. ... Sealing wax and embossed seals were used to securely close correspondence in the...
How to Make a Seal Stamp
You can continue with the tradition and create your own seal by... How to Make Hand Crafted Metal Wax Seal Jewelry Pendants.
How to Obtain a Corporate Seal for a Corporation
Steel embossers make a firm impression. ... electric, automatic, cast iron desk, desk and long reach desk. A rubber stamp can come...
How Do I Create a Seal or Emblem Online?
Personal Electronics. ... dedicated to helping you design and create your own emblem free of charge such as http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/official-seal-generator ...
How to Make a Writing Imprint Visible on Paper
A writing impression is often left on the underlying paper beneath the page that was originally written on. This does depend on...
How to Print Gold Seal Certificates
Sometimes these certificates are printed, ... How to Design Your Own Embossed Seal or Crest; Comments. 7912730 Jun 08, 2012. This is...