People treat brick for two separate reasons using the same technique: to improve the waterproofing of exposed bricks in walls and flooring and to eliminate dust from falling off of the bricks and becoming an irritant. The project can be undertaken by homeowner who has experience with painting either indoors or outdoors.
Things You'll Need
- Shop Vac
- Drop cloths, if you are painting a brick wall indoors
- 2-inch paintbrush
- Paint roller and pan with an extension handle for the roller
- Clear brick sealer
Vacuum the surface of the brick wall or floor. This will remove the dust and debris that will cause problems with the sealer attaching to the wall.
Place drop cloths around areas that may have splatter or dripping. This will protect furniture and plants that may be exposed to the sealer which can damage items.
Use the 2-inch paintbrush to reach hard to get areas or places where the roller will not fit. This is also a particularly useful practice to keep the sealer off of grass and plants. This product can cause leaf damage and even death of the plants.
Pour 2-inches of sealer into the paint tray for the roller. Carefully place the roller into the sealer and roll until the roller is covered. The first attempt will take a few more rolls that subsequent applications to the roller.
Apply the sealer to the surface. Use slow gentle motions applying the sealer since it is thin and will splatter. The walls will require even greater care since there is the potential of dropping sealer.
Allow the sealer to dry overnight. Apply a second coat in the manner as the first coat.
Tips & Warnings
- When you are working in an area exposed to the elements make sure that it is not going to rain for at least 48 hours.
- "Building with Masonry: Brick, Block, and Concrete;" R. T. Kreh; 1998
- "Stonework: Techniques and Projects;" Charles McRaven; 1997
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Heat Treat 4140 Steel
4140 steel is a high-strength alloy that is made up of iron, chromium, silicon and molybdenum. This material has excellent strength for...