Clean water is the greatest necessity to human life. A human can survive only a short period of time without water. Dirty water can cause serious illness or death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, hepatitis, giardia, which is a gastric illness-producing microorganism, and copper are present in certain water samples. Private wells are also a significant source of water contamination. When traveling, water quality may vary. Treat any suspect water as contaminated.
Things You'll Need
Inspect the water source. Follow any posted warnings.
Fill the canteen with water. Transfer water into the kettle.
Gather wood. Place the wood in pile and ignite it with the lighter.
Hold the kettle above the campfire. Wait for the water to begin boiling, then allow it to boil for one minute.
Extinguish the campfire. Wait for the water to cool.
Tips & Warnings
- The same technique can be used at home or whenever the quality of drinking water is in doubt. The same technique can also be used on any grill. Be careful that campfires are completely extinguished before leaving. Place the kettle on a grate or other non-flammable surface.
- Make sure to start your fire in a designated fire pit. Check on local requirements for campfires.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;2011; Drinking Water;
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;2010;Water-related Diseases...;
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;2010; Water-related Data ...;
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;2006; Water Treatment Methods
- Survival Topics; The Best Way to Make Water Safe...;
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Clean Drinking Water Holding Tanks
Drinking water tanks are commonly found in RVs, trailers, campers and boats. People are also purchasing portable drinking water tanks for in...
How to Do Water Damage Clean up
Water damage is the nightmare of every homeowner, whether it's a burst pipe, a hard rain, or simply forgetting to turn off...
How to Make Cleaning Solutions
Homemade cleaning products can be the frugal family's best friend. Commercial cleansers can be costly and come in quantities that you may...
How to Clean a Drinking Water Fountain
A drinking water fountain has germs and bacteria. This can cause minor illnesses like a cold, or it can transmit harmful conditions....
Types of Deseases Caused From Drinking Dirty Water
One of the major targets of the United Nation's Millennium Goals is to improve the health of children in the developing world....
How to Make a Dirty Carpet Look Clean
Vacuuming a dirty carpet on a regular basis will help to make the carpet a lot cleaner, but a bottle of vinegar...
The Best Ways to Clean Glass Shower Doors
The best ways to clean glass shower doors when they develop a hazy dull appearance may be easier than you think. The...