Alvin from the popular cartoon series "Alvin and the Chipmunks" is a fun costume you can make for adults and children alike. If you have two other friends, you can have them go as Theodore and Simon, too. Make an Alvin costume to pay homage to the lead chipmunk.
Things You'll Need
- Red long-sleeved turtleneck shirt
- Large sheet of yellow felt
- Fabric pen
- Fabric glue
- Red baseball cap
- Black pants
- Black or dark brown face paint
Draw a large block lettered "A" onto your yellow felt sheet with your fabric marker, making the letter wide and tall enough to cover the front of your shirt. Use a ruler to make sure you get the edges straight, then cut out your "A" when done.
Set your iron on medium heat and let it heat up for five minutes. Iron your red shirt and spray a layer of starch over the front, then iron the front one more time so that it is stiff and wrinkle-free.
Apply fabric glue to one side of your felt "A," hold the "A" glue-side down over the front of your shirt and center it, then press it down on the shirt. Press down on the top part of the "A" with your iron and move it down over your felt "A" for three minutes. Let the fabric glue cool and dry for ten minutes.
Put on your Alvin shirt with your red cap and black pants. Rub black or dark brown face paint all over your nose.
Tips & Warnings
- Shop around at consignment and thrift stores in your area to see if you can't find a turtleneck and baseball cap for a low price. Many stores will carry these basic items.
- If you can't find large sheets of felt at your craft store, cut smaller pieces into long strips and piece your "A" together that way.
- Photo Credit Christopher Polk/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images