Women visit their gynecologist more than 10 million times each year due to problems with vaginitis. Bacterial vaginosis – an infection whose symptoms include a fishy-smelling discharge and itching – causes about 40 percent of vaginitis cases. Another 25 percent of cases are due to yeast infections, a condition characterized by severe itching and a discharge that looks like cottage cheese. Increasingly, women are experimenting with alternative treatments for vaginal infections, especially if they suffer from chronic cases of bacterial vaginosis and yeast. One alternative treatment that may effectively treat both infections is the inexpensive and easily accessible chemical substance, boric acid.
Things You'll Need
- Size 0 gelatin capsules
- Boric acid powder
Purchase boric acid powder from a pharmacy. Buy size 0 gelatin capsules from a pharmacy or natural foods store.
Scoop boric acid powder into a gelatin capsule. Fill a size 0 capsule halfway to provide the recommended dosage of 600 milligrams of boric acid powder unless directions on your container of boric acid specify a different method for measuring 600 milligrams of powder.
Wash your hands with a mild soap and dry them thoroughly. Don't touch the capsule with wet fingers, since this may make it start to dissolve. Insert the gelatin capsule into your vagina, pushing it as far up as you can reach.
Repeat Steps 2 and 3 once a day for the next 13 days to complete treatment of a bacterial vaginosis or yeast infection.
- "Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey;" Common Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Yeast Vaginitis and Bacterial Vaginosis: A Systematic Review; Katherine Van Kessel, et al.; May 2003
- FamilyDoctor.org; Vaginal Discharge: Changes That May be Signs of a Problem; August 2010
- ClinicalTrials.gov; BASIC (Boric Acid, Alternate Solution for Intravaginal Colonization) Study; September 2010
- Bowling Green State University; Boric Acid Vaginal Inserts; January 2009
- Peace Health; Boric Acid; December 2009
Where Can I Buy Boric Acid?
Boric acid can be bought at most pharmacies or groceries stores in powdered or granular form. Use boric acid to kill pest...