Create an a more flavorful cake frosting with all natural honey instead of powdered sugar. The variety of honeys available from different flowers can be paired with the cake the frosting will top. Like other frosting recipes, use the basic recipe as the start for customizing your own cake topping. Use the cake frosting in place of plain cream cheese frostings made with powdered sugar.
Things You'll Need
- 1 lb. (16 oz.) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Combine the cream cheese, honey and vanilla extract in the work bowl of a mixer.
Start the mixer on low speed to slowly incorporate the ingredients.
Increase the mixer speed to medium-high and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy in texture.
Chill the frosting in the refrigerator for one hour before applying it to your cake.
Tips & Warnings
- Replace the vanilla extract with almond extract for a slightly nutty frosting to top a nut cake.
- Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder to the frosting mixture or use 1/2 cup melted chocolate for a chocolate cake frosting.
- Add 1 tsp. of grated lemon zest and 1 tsp. of lemon extract for a lemon-flavored icing.
- Photo Credit Medioimages/Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images