Bluetooth is a short-range wireless data transmission technology used to connect electronic devices. Computers can take advantage of Bluetooth technology. Unfortunately, many laptops, such as the HP Compaq CQ60, do not include this feature, so they are unable to connect to devices using Bluetooth technology. However, you can install an external Bluetooth adapter to your Compaq CQ60 so that you will be able to connect electronic devices to your laptop via a secure, fast and synchronized wireless link.
Things You'll Need
- External Bluetooth adapter
Insert the installation CD for the adapter into the CD drive of your computer. The installation wizard should run automatically. If the wizard does not open, click "Start," and "Computer," then double-click on the CD drive icon. The wizard will start.
Follow the wizard instructions. For example, click on "Accept the license agreement," and select a folder where your adapter software and its drivers will be installed. Use the default settings offered by the wizard. Do not insert the Bluetooth adapter into the USB port of the computer until prompted by the wizard.
Insert the Bluetooth adapter when prompted by the wizard. The system will detect this new device and continue with the installation. Click "Finish" when the installation is complete. A Bluetooth icon (blue) appears in the notification area (in the lower right corner of the screen). Bluetooth is now installed on your laptop.
Tips & Warnings
- If you do not have the Bluetooth installation CD, click on "Start," "Control Panel" and "Add Bluetooth device." Choose "I have no CD" and let Windows browse the Internet to find the appropriate software and drivers for your new Bluetooth device.
- You can connect your Compaq CQ60 to a Bluetooth printer or to other Bluetooth-enabled audio and video devices.
- Bluetooth can be used to exchange photos and pictures between your Compaq CQ60 and any mobile phone or camera equipped with Bluetooth.
- To exchange large files -- such as pictures, HD videos, or mutiple MP3 tracks -- between your laptop and your mobile phone, use a USB connector cable. It will probably be faster than using Bluetooth.
- Do not buy a Bluetooth PCMIA card. Such cards offer more stable performance, but they are not supported by your HP Compaq CQ60 laptop.
- Beware of counterfeit Bluetooth adapters. Equipment not certified by Windows could damage your laptop. Choose a Bluetooth adapter made by a well-known manufacturer.
- To avoid any risk of piracy, turn off the Bluetooth when not in use.
- Photo Credit Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images
How to Pair a Compaq Computer & Bluetooth
One of the useful things you can do with a Compaq PC is to set up a Bluetooth connection between the PC...
How to Add a Plantronics 220 Bluetooth Device to a Phone
The Plantronics Explorer 220 is a Bluetooth headset that provides hands-free operation of your Bluetooth compatible mobile phone. You need to connect,...
How to Access Compaq Presario Laptop BIOS Settings
To access BIOS settings, a function key or key combination is pressed at the start of the boot-up process. When the BIOS...
How Do I Unmute My Microphone in Skype?
Skype, according to its official website, is responsible for 8 percent of international calls as of 2010. Skype's popularity is based on...
How to Enable Bluetooth on a HP Compaq Nc8430
Bluetooth technology allows you to transmit data at distances of up to 30 feet. Bluetooth uses a radio signal to establish a...
How to Use the Built in Webcam on the Compaq Presario CQ50-215NR Notebook
All HP computers, such as the Compaq Presario CQ50-215NR notebook, come with a program called QuickPlay. You can use QuickPlay, a free...
How to Boot From the CD on a Compaq CQ60
You may have to boot your Compaq Presario CQ60 from an operating system installation disc, a recovery disc or some other disc...
The Advantages of a Bluetooth Laptop
Bluetooth technology is found in a variety of electronic devices, such as wireless cell phone headsets for drivers. Laptops have several options...